This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't receive gmail emails in outlook 2003

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Cannot receive emails-get this message: Task 'pop.gmail.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.' When I test Account Settings-no errors; I have no problem sending emails. incoming mail server (POP3) = pop.gmail.com; incoming server (POP3): 995; server requires encrypted connection (SSL). It was working fine yesterdaye; have turned modem and d-link off/on and rebooted. I have windows 7 (64 bit).
Those are the same settings I have and mine is working okay. Any other changes to your system recently? New Windows Update, changed anti-virus or firewall?
THanks Rich. Only change-I just downloaded Windows XP so I could download drivers for older printer. Would that have cause the receive problem? I have Windows 7 Professional and downloaded Windows XP and Windows Virtual PC.
Where did you download Windows XP from? It is not legally available for download anywhere that I'm aware of, or did you mean XP Mode to run under Windows 7?

Anyway, just downloading them should cause you to be unable to receive mail.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

 

I can send email but not receive and here is message I get in outlook 2003

Task 'pop.gmail.com (1) - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

 

 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI