Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can Not Send e-mail

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Just got back from vacation and when to check up on my mail, as I was going to send a mail to one of my friends this is what error I got: I can recive e-mail with no problems, but cannot send: The connection to the server has failed. Account: (name removed) Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I went what the heck, but did a little testing and this is happing on this my work shop computer (win XP SP#3), My office computer, my wifes machine and also on my labtop which has windows 7 Prem. Any clue to as why this is going on or should I contact AT&T Tech, because of the fact its doing on 4 differant machines and making me think it a Server related problem and not the pc's.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Try doing a "tracert" to the SMTP server. That should let you know if the Port 25 is being blocked somewhere. Error 10060 is a Time Out error, so it might be down to high latency or something like that.

Edited by Nahumi, 15 June 2010 - 01:22 PM.

Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

ATT/Yahoo SMTP settings have never used port 25 as far as I know. This port is blocked by ATT on all home networks to prevent infected computers from sending spam. Things are changing regularly with these settings and that is your problem. It appears the most recent settings should be set like this: pop3 server: pop.att.yahoo.com SMTP server: smtp.att.yahoo.com Incoming/outgoing username: your full e-mail address (i.e. you@bellsouth.net) incoming mail port: 995 - Use a secure connection/SSL checked outgoing mail port: 465 - Use a secure connection/SSL checked If this does not correct your problem, contact ATT for the correct e-mail server settings.

Edited by appleoddity, 15 June 2010 - 02:05 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#4 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

ATT/Yahoo SMTP settings have never used port 25 as far as I know. This port is blocked by ATT on all home networks to prevent infected computers from sending spam.

Things are changing regularly with these settings and that is your problem.

It appears the most recent settings should be set like this:

pop3 server: pop.att.yahoo.com
SMTP server: smtp.att.yahoo.com
Incoming/outgoing username: your full e-mail address (i.e. you@bellsouth.net)
incoming mail port: 995 - Use a secure connection/SSL checked
outgoing mail port: 465 - Use a secure connection/SSL checked

If this does not correct your problem, contact ATT for the correct e-mail server settings.

For the last 15 years my settings were this with bellsouth.net:
pop3 server: mail.bellsouth.net
smpt server: mail.bellsouth.net

outgoing mail smpt: 110
incoming mail (pop3) 25

both ssl have been unchecked

here is a tracert report:
Tracing route to mail.bellsouth.net [204.127.217.17]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.150.1
2 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 184.46.121.1
3 13 ms 14 ms 13 ms 72.157.32.51
4 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms 72.157.32.53
5 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 12.81.38.54
6 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms 12.81.38.28
7 15 ms 13 ms 14 ms 12.81.24.66
8 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 12.81.24.101
9 15 ms 13 ms 13 ms 74.175.192.22
10 68 ms 68 ms 68 ms cr1.nwrla.ip.att.net [12.123.153.18]
11 68 ms 68 ms 67 ms cr1.hs1tx.ip.att.net [12.122.1.141]
12 67 ms 67 ms 67 ms cr2.santx.ip.att.net [12.122.30.137]
13 69 ms 68 ms 67 ms cr2.phmaz.ip.att.net [12.122.1.17]
14 70 ms 68 ms 67 ms cr1.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.31.189]
15 67 ms 67 ms 67 ms cr1.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.3.121]
16 67 ms 67 ms 66 ms 12.83.59.17
17 67 ms 67 ms 67 ms 151.164.38.28
18 66 ms 66 ms 66 ms ded2-p8-0.snfcca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.95.113]
19 69 ms 68 ms 69 ms ATTSI-2of2-San-Francisco-1155380.cust-rtr.pacbel
l.net [64.172.39.78]
20 71 ms 69 ms 70 ms 207.115.16.50
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 68 ms 69 ms 69 ms mail.bellsouth.net [204.127.217.17]

Trace complete.

Edited by Jimbo1, 15 June 2010 - 03:30 PM.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Then you should've received the several notices that these settings were being changed and have changed a few times over the last few months. Those settings are not good any more.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

http://www.att.com/e...i...&ct=9000152

#7 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

So what do you think change the settings and cross my fingers :0, one of tracert report shows a time out?

Edited by Jimbo1, 15 June 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#8 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

The time out seems a bit weird to me. Doesn't happen on my end. Also, bellsouth.net doesn't seem to exist. This is going to sound stupid, but you could try bellsouth.com. They could have moved the site and their servers to a different domain whilst you were holiday. Bit of a long shot though. . .
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#9 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Ok... Please, just try the new settings.

@nahumi - tracert will not determine if port 25 is blocked. It will determine if the packets are being dropped somewhere down the line regardless of what port it is on. In essence you have verified that the server at mail.bellsouth.net is responding to ping requests. The time out says that the router along the way to bellsouth.net is NOT responding to ping requests and ignored your tracert. The PATH to bellsouth.net is different for you than it is for Jimbo1 who is probably in a different part of the world. Your packets will not traverse the same path.

To test if port 25 is being blocked, you would actually have to initiate a connection to port 25 specifically. The command to test this would be TELNET. i.e. telnet mail.bellsouth.net 25 -- which is unsuccessful, because that setting is no longer valid.

As far as bellsouth.net not existing. That is not true. If you are saying this because when you ping bellsouth.net you do not get a reply that just tells you the server at bellsouth.net is ignoring your ping requests. The server at mail.bellsouth.net does respond to ping requests.

But, finally, it still comes down to the fact that these settings have been invalid for quite some time and it is a surprise they have worked this long. ATT has consolidated their servers and merged things together. Existing customers should've received adavnced warning of the changes. I know of some around here that have.

Edited by appleoddity, 15 June 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#10 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

The time out seems a bit weird to me. Doesn't happen on my end.

Also, bellsouth.net doesn't seem to exist. This is going to sound stupid, but you could try bellsouth.com. They could have moved the site and their servers to a different domain whilst you were holiday. Bit of a long shot though. . .

Not sure as I said I am reciving e-mail fine, not not able to send, but I do a tracert and see what happens. Last 15 years or so my e-mail address has been j******x@bellsouth.net, long before AT&T took over, my router setting and everything in this shop, home, wife, labtop is using that e-mail address.

But I tracert the mail.belsouth.com this and here's the result:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim>tracert mail.bellsouth.com

Tracing route to mail.bellsouth.com [139.76.165.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.150.1
2 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms 184.46.121.1
3 33 ms 33 ms 31 ms 72.157.32.51
4 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms 72.157.32.53
5 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms 12.81.38.48
6 29 ms 31 ms 31 ms 12.81.38.0
7 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 12.81.24.88
8 30 ms 29 ms 29 ms 12.81.24.2
9 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms 12.83.2.194
10 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 12.83.2.209
11 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms 0.san-francisco-45-50rs.ca.dial-access.att.net [
12.81.90.0]
12 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 205.152.152.22
13 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 139.76.128.123
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim>

Edited by appleoddity, 15 June 2010 - 04:01 PM.
Removed E-Mail Address

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

And I forgot to say that if you want to test the connection to port 25 of a server you will be likely unable to on many U.S. cable and DSL provider networks. They block this port for home users to prevent spammers. Only business networks can freely use port 25. Not sure how that is in other countries or with different carriers.

#12 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
    Software Development

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I compared my tracert to Jimbo1 and that far down the line it was the same. The ip before the time out was the same, as was the one after it. So from that it's pretty safe to say the route was the same through the particular node at hope 21. As for bellsouth.net , try going to it. It will come up with an ATT error. Bellsouth.com on the otherhand does not. You're right a tracert does not check ports. But a time out at hop 21 does explain the time out error code 10060. A blocked port , or a wrong port, would be error 10061. I think. . . I could be wrong.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr

#13 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

So the question is do I go ahead and change the setting to that link you provided and 1. When I do will my e-maill adress remain the same? 2. I just tryed Thunderbird and when I sent e-mail out got the same error 3. Up to last week I have been using port 25, so now they caught up to me and shut me down? 4. Do you think facebook did something to prevent me from sending mail, because I get notice from folks on facebook.

Edited by Jimbo1, 15 June 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#14 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Appleoddity I did as you requested and nadda this is what happens. The host 'smpt.att.yahoo.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'x@bellsouth.net', Server: 'smpt.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D Went back and still get this: The host 'smpt.att.yahoo.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'x@bellsouth.net', Server: 'smpt.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Edited by Jimbo1, 15 June 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#15 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

@Jimbo1

It is SMTP not SMPT. ;)

1) Your e-mail address will remain the same. You are just updating your e-mail server settings with the correct settings as they have changed due to restructuring.

2) Thunderbird is no different than any other e-mail client. If the e-mail server settings aren't correct you will get the same results.

3) Yes, the changes have been in place for quite some time. Many months I think. Most recently a customer of mine received notification they would no longer be able to log into webmail with the regular webmail address, but instead had to go directly to att.yahoo.com and log in. That change was happening this week, maybe today. Thus this aligns with your problems also. The change of e-mail servers was announced months ago and several notices have been sent. You should have gotten them.

4) Facebook is completely unrelated to your current e-mail problem as in this thread.

@Nahumi

Yes, it makes sense that the path your packet takes when it gets close to its destination would be the same. While the start of the path should be quite different seems how both of you are in different parts of the world. So, you are right, my explanation that you are in a different part of the world is not valid because it is the same router that your packets are traversing. However, there is no standard, or etiquette in place that says any device has to respond to your ping requests. They could simply be blocking ping requests from a particular IP or group of IP addresses, or any other reason. This does not indicate a problem. This simply indicates that the particular router is not responding to your PING requests. That router has forwarded your packets on to their destination as is expected of it though. This is indicated by the final

22 68 ms 69 ms 69 ms mail.bellsouth.net [204.127.217.17]

If the packet was not making it to its destination then you would never reach your destination as is shown in this tracert. Any number of time outs on the way do not mean anything. In fact, a timeout at the destination doesn't even mean anything, it just means that particular server is not responding to your ping requests. Which could also indicate it is down. Finally though, when using a tracert, if there really is an internet problem then your packets will die at a particular hop. You will definitely get a request timed out and that will be it. You will never see any further hops, and you will never see a hop to your final destination. So, if there was an internet problem tracert would've died at hop 14 or 15, etc. And there would've been no further hops. The path your packet takes is determined by each router on the path. So, if a particular router is not functioning then the route to the destination is unknown thus making it impossible to check any further hops. This is indicated in the second tracert Jimbo provided where all the way to 30 there were no further IP addresses, or hops to make. The router that comes next after 139.76.128.123 is non responsive and not forwarding your packets - or, every router and device from that point on is ignoring your ping requests. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

The time out error in the mail client is simply because it is trying to connect to port 25 of mail.bellsouth.net and it is never able to connect. It waits. And, it times out.

Edited by appleoddity, 15 June 2010 - 05:19 PM.