This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

How to install new hard drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Help! Through another topic; we concluded that I needed a new harddrive for my Dell Laptop. I just received one ….from Singapore…at a great price. Now I need help installing it. I have backed up all my data onto an external drive. I have downloaded all the drivers from Dell Support. I have the installation disk for Windows XP and for MS Office. Could I get some step by step instructions?
OK, so I went a step further and found how to replace the hard drive…very easy. Then I loaded the XP disk and turned on the machine…and got a DOS like prompt with GNU GRUB. I think this is related to the Linux software I used to backup up my data. I tried rebooting by pressing the F12 key to boot from the CD… I got the prompt from where I wanted to boot… I prompted for XP… And got the GNU GRUB version 0.97 How do I get to boot from the XP disk?
You know, I think this is the wrong forum for my situation. I was easily able to manually install the hard drive. My problem is in dealing with the software. I've started a new topic in the Windows Forum. Should we close this topic?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI