This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop Hard Drive as External Hard Drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI I am a newbie and have been struggling with this for two days now. The HD in my Inspiron 8100 became corrupt (config sys issues.) I removed the HD and hooked it up via USB as an external HD, thinking I could pull my documents, pics, etc. off it. However, I can only see Dell files and no word docs or any other media. Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Hi, Welcome to the WTT forums,
As you are able to access your laptop's hard drive via USB and "see" the Dell files it demonstrates that all is probably well.

It may be that you are not looking in quite the right place on your laptop's drives for your Word documents etc.
It might be wise to to try this:
Start
Search
Documents…word processing etc
Under "All or part of document name…"
type in, as set out below (that is to say star dot doc)
*.doc
Use advanced search options
Look in
make sure here the drive letter for your laptop's hard drive is specified (Note it will not be c)
Search

This should find all your word docs, you can try similar searches for your other stuff but once you have clearly identified the path to your files it should be all fit into place. and you should be able to find the stuff you need,
Regards
paws
Hi, Let me just check, you can see the Dell files and access them but nothing else, is that right? Please give some examples of the Dell files you can see via USB. The properties and brief run down on the folder/directory file structure might be helpful Is the machine you are using to view the files running Xp with a NTFS file format? Regards paws
Well, I ended up downloading iRecover and was finally able to pull what I needed off the HD. It said I had over 20,000 damaged files. Not sure what happened, but iRecover is a nice tool. Thanks again for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI