Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Installing 2nd Internal Hard Drive

Hard Drive

Best Answer PhillPower2 , 27 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

Hello Top, Is the new drive listed in the BIOS, if yes, have you checked Windows 10 Disk Manager; To access Disk Management via Run. Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK. If the driv... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Top

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

Hi folks!

I am installing a second Internal Hard Drive into a Dell Inspiron Model 3670.  The additional drive is a 4T WD Blue 3.5".  After using a Power Splitter Cord and restarting the PC everything booted just fine.

My dilemma is that my Win Ten System can't "see" the newly installed HD.  The drive did not come with any installation disc, nor instructions.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance,

US Army, Retired

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:49 PM   Best Answer

Hello Top,

Is the new drive listed in the BIOS, if yes, have you checked Windows 10 Disk Manager;

To access Disk Management via Run.

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

If the drive is detected in both it is possible that the drive needs to be initialized and/or formatting, both can be done via Windows Disk Manager.

• Top likes this

#3 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

Its been awhile since I have built my own systems so I am sure things have changed in the past few years. But basically you have set the jumpers on each disk to make the main disk the MASTER which contains the OS, It will be your C:/ drive, then set the jumper on the second disk and that will be your slave drive. It should be D:/  You may have to contact the manufacturer of your drive for info on how to do this.  

Someone correct me if Im wrong

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#4 Top

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.  Looks like I'm 100% operational now.

US Army, Retired

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

You are welcome Top and thank you for letting us know that you no longer require assistance  :thumbup: