This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Finding Drivers

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

A friend of mine's girlfriend installed a new hard drive on his computer. Its a Dell, no recovery or restore disk's availble. Installed fresh 98x, now it shows it has no modem and loaded vga graphics. Now, he has a disk that has all the drivers on it from Dell. But it says when trying to pull them in or have windows find them there that the particular disk has no information about device on it. If you explore it you can see them there. I am trying to have to keep from copying the drivers in DOS and adding them. I also tried uninstalling devices and reinstalling them but it wont let me install anything except the drivers it wants to install itself. I tried installing the old drive as slave and pull them in from there.. says the files aint there.. (the old hd is in bad shap anyway.. 3/4 of it is no good)… anyway.. i appreciate any help.. also, on XP if you defrag on a different profile I assuming that you dont have to on all.. i know that sounds stupid but I have unistalled CursorXP yet it still there on certain profiles.. Thanx for help
With going to Windows XP from 98 you will not have full compatibility on all hardware and modems are especially true in this case because your particular modem is probably partially built into your motherboard, if it is a certain card instead you can research the numbers and lettering on it at www.driversguide.com to possibly find a win2000 driver that might work in XP for it. If you defrag in one profile it does work for all however when removing a program from the programs you will sometimes have to go into each users start menu and remove references to some programs individually as some uninstallers do not do this cleanly.
Well shoot.. Tom you remember the other day I had asked you about a freeze up problem with 98 and yoou recomended defrag'n ram… well.. that didnt work (but thanx for the program.. i like it).. anyway.. this lady is having severe problems with low memory.. sys tray is clean..and she has 384 MB of RAM.. she has a ton of stuff installed…. big stuff like Quicken.. Quick Books.. Microsoft works.. and.. Microsoft Office.. and…lol.. she usues none of them.. go figure. My question is, will uninstalling these help any being that there not in the start up…. she has 60 GB H/D also..
Won't hurt to uninstall some of them but try disabling their autostarts first, this will allow for a lot of memory gain in itself M$ always adds a couple of start with windows type background apps such as osa.exe and findfast and quicken always adds one or 2 can't remember exactly. 60gb hd but how much is free? If over 50% and you have run scandisk thorough and then defrag that would eliminate hd problems. do a Startuplist and post it here and we can look at that for that computer.
This is what I had her leave in start-up.. (this was a couple of weeks ago but still only has these checked) loadpowerprofile..(just one time).. scanreg….systray…LWBMOUSE…BAUSB.. and spystopper. And yes she has a ton of room on hard drive… as of a couple days ago she only had 20% of it used. Also I hope its ok I am advertising your site on my web page…I get alot of emails from people need'n help and the ones that I cant I had just as soon come here than I had send them anywhere else. I have some how aquired a small gathering of people that have come to be my friends and I dont like sending there anywhere but everyone here is nice and very helpful. Thanx again for help. .. I supppose she could just like my personality and wants to have a reason to talk to me.. lol..