This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Ps2 port malfunction problem !

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hope somebody might be able to help me . . . I have a shop with an antiquated till system that I inherited when I bought it and this morning I purchased a new one, to be delivered in 3 weeks.

 

At exactly the moment I was buying a new system my old one crashed, spooky !

 

I rebooted the computer and got the system working but it did tell me there was a keyboard problem while it was booting that I had to hit f1 to continue which I did and I got the programme I needed to open and the keyboard works in the keyboard. Problem is the other ps2 port is used by the barcode scanner and without both of those things working the system is useless.

 

Ive tried both keyboard and scanner in each port seperately and they both work in the keyboard port but neither works in the mouse port and I cant get either to work via a ps2/usb adaptor that I got from pcworld and just plugged in.

 

Is there anything that anybody can suggest that I can try to get this thing working if only for the next month until I can get my new system up and running ??

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Oli 

Hi Olizoo,

as you are in the UK you could drop into your local Asda or other supermarket and pick up a cheap USB keyboard ( or better still borrow one for a quick test.) and I do know that PC World sell barcode scanners starting in price at around £45 or so…

Regards

paws

I did try connecting the scanner through a ps2/usb adaptor without success but maybe I have to do some configuration to make that work ? I also bought a usb scanner and will get that today and see if it can work . . . and my plan c is a ps2 splitter cable to connect both keyboard and scanner through the one working port !

 

I tried looking at the device manager to uninstall and reinstall the ports but couldn't see anything obvious and didn't mess about with it.

 

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, will post my results as I try stuff in case anyone else ever has this problem.

 

Cheers

 

Oli

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI