Okay, so I know this can't be that hard.
First of all I live in Alaska, so technology is lacking to say the least here. I ordered internet service and the company sent me a POS modem that isn't even wireless.
I have a SmartRG wireless modem from ClearAccess from my last internet provider in Washington, but can't seem to figure out how to reconfigure it to work for my new service. I can't figure out where to go to enter my username and password for the wireless modem. This is probably a simple issue, but I need help.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I feel chained up to a wall right now…
Julee
what you need to do is connect to the wireless modem by cable then enter it's home ip address(something like 192.168.1.1 but could be anything) into the address bar of a web browser to get to it's home/setup pages, you'll probably need to enter a username/password(try admin/admin or admin/ and no password) then you can make alterations to how it connects to the internet(probably going to need to talk to your new isp to get the connection details you'll need) along with any wireless settings you want to make.
now because it was supplied by another isp you may not be able to use it, it may be restricted/locked to only connecting to your old service and therefor useless with your new isp provider.
I ordered internet service and the company sent me a POS modem that isn't even wireless.
A modem isn't wireless so I would not expect you to get a wireless modem, unless you paid extra for it. Note a wireless modem is actually two network devices in one box (the modem and the WAP - wireless access point).
IF the SmartRG device is compatible with your new ISP, you need to register it with your new ISP. That is, you need to call them up and tell them you are using a different gateway device (the new modem) and then you need to provide them the MAC address to the new device. It should be printed on a label on the device.
If you don't provide the ISP the new MAC address, you will never be able to connect because your account is tied to the MAC address of the device they provided.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI