Cannot protect my Wireless Modem
12 min read
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-eedkkeu1i4
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-77-93-18
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : [removed]
80.58.61.254
As kaz is in a different time zone I hope he won't mind me jumping in here.
Try this from the computer that is wired with a cat 5 cable to your router:
FOR XP
Start
Run
in the white box type the following:
http://192.168.0.1
Your browser should open at the router's opening page.
If that doesn't work use http://192.168.1.1
(you can now use the default user name and password, see manual, to set it up the way you want)
For Vista
after you have started your computer just type the following:
run
note it doesn't have to be typed in anywhere special, just type it, and then follow the above instructions.
See how you go and either kaz or I will be back to see how you got on.
Regards
paws
One problem I see from previous posts is that your PC's DHCP is DISABLED, Your PCs IP address is set to 192.168.0.1 and your Router's address is set to 192.168.1.1. Given THOSE two settings, your PC and router will NOT be able to communicate as they are NOT on the same network.
Open up your Control Panel, click on "Network Connections", from this window, right-click on your "Local Area Network" connect and click on Properties. Scroll through the "This connection uses the following Items" down to TCP/IP. Select TCP/IP, then click the Properties button below. From here, click on "Obtain an IP address automatically". If "Obtain an IP address automatically". If "Obttain an IP address automatically" was NOT selected and you changed it - click OK, OK then REBOOT your PC and see you you're able to access the Internet. If "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" WAS already selected, then we should try to statically assign your PC's IP address as follows:
In the IP tab (see above), check "Use the Following IP Address", the change the address to the following:
IP Address: 192.168.1.13
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS: [removed]
Alternate DNS: [removed]
Click OK, the OK again. then reboot your PC.
Either way, once your PC has rebooted - see if you can get on the Internet. If so - then you're OK. If not, try opening up Internet Explorer and going to the address
192.168.1.1
use the Username: 1234
use the Password: 1234
This should help. If not, then there's likely a physical connect or adapter configuration setting that's preventing your PC from connecting to you router. If this is the case, reply and I'll give you futher assistance.
BTW - you can access the English version of your router's USER MANUAL at:
http://www.telefonicaonline.com/on/es/arch…_Xavi_7768r.pdf
Hope all of this helps!
- John
luckydog1,
Just to restate what's going on with your network configuration based on your more recent scren shots as well as my review of your cable modem's manual:
You DO NOT need the PPPoE MiniPort connections in your Network Connections screen. This is becacause your ADSL MODEM is capable of making it's OWN PPPoE connection to your ISP. All we need to do is configure your ADSL modem for PPPoE - setting up your ISP Username / Password. This will allow your MODEM to connect to your ISP BY ITSELF - rather than have to connect via your PC. This should drastically simplify things for you.
Pleaase reply and I'[m confident that I can help you get this set up properly.
- John
Hi John, your help is much appreciated …. update is that at last (thanks to you) I have managed to get to the 192.168.1.1 log-in bit but when I enter the password 1234 and username 1234 is will not accept these for some reason
- any suggestions ?
In your last reply you state that the PPPoE MiniPort connection is not required, do I need to delete or disconnect from this please.
Thanks.
According to the English manual for your ADSL modem I found at:
http://www.telefonicaonline.com/on/es/arch…_Xavi_7768r.pdf
Both the default USERNAME & PASSWORD are 1234. It's possible that your ISP has modified the modem to have DIFFERENT usernames & passwords. You may want to try to "Factory Reset" the modem FIRST and see if username 1234 and password 1234 work. To factory reset the modem, press a bent paperclip into the small hole to the left of the WAN jack on the back of the modem. Hold this down for about 10 seconds in order to factory reset the modem (see manual above).
As best I can tell from reading through your modem's manual - it (the MODEM) can be configured for PPPoE meaning that if you enter your ISP username/password into the modem's PPPPoE setup screen, the MODEM will make a PPPoE connection to the internet. This means that you DO NOT NEED the PPPoE miniport network connection on ANY of your PCs. You basically ONLY need the Local Area Network connection. Having a modem that automatically connects to your DSL service via PPPoE eliminates the need to install PPPoE software on your PC(s).
I would recommend reading through the manual in the link above. If after factory resettting your modem with a paperclick, it does NOT allow you to access it with the username/password of 1234/1234 - then contact your ISP to see if they've changed the default password.
Hope this helps.
- John
Hi John, I have just this minute done a Factory reset and finally managed to 'get in' to the setting etc, using the 1234 !!!!luckydog1,
Did you "Factory Reset" your ADSL modem? If so, did you have any luck with the default username & password of 1234, 1234? If you factory reset the ADSL modem and make the IP changes I suggested to your PC, you whould be able to get to the router by bringing up you browser and going to 192.168.1.1. If you connect successfully, you should be able to access the router with username 1234 and password 1234. If this username and password DOES NOT work, the your ISP has likely modified the firmware on the router and changed the username/password from factory defaults.
Where do you live and WHO is your DSL ISP? Knowing this will help in determining any possible special settings required on your DSL modem.
John
*********** DONE IT GUYS !!!!! *********** Well I think so …. 60 fags later, two long walks, stiff drink and ready for bed
I have been into the router settings and enabled/set the wireless WLAN working, used a self made encription and when I used my other computer it sure did ask for the code, entered it and on-line it went, connected no trouble. After re-booting my main computer and router I looked at my internet connections (via control panel) and it shows LAN connected, IP address of 192.168.1.33 (strange ?) subnet of 255.255.255.0 assigned by DHCP. The ADSL AIM connection is showing as disconnected so overall I seemed to have sorted it in a fashion ….
Can I just say you guys have been sooooooo helpful and I am sure you will be glad to see the back of my 'post'. I could never have done it with out you all - it is really, really appreciated and I have learned today there really is GOOD people out there in this world. I will be looking at making a donation to the forum in the near future as a BIG THANK YOU "What The Tech"
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI