Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't work out what's going on!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neilski

neilski

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Getting really frustrated! My broadband speed is really slow but when I run a speed check on the line, it shows that there's no problem. I have re-booted the router (Netgear DG834) which shows a connection speed from 11 to 54 Mbps. My ISP is no help and I'm losing the will to live. Any help greatly appreciated in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 neilski

neilski

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for that. Since posting, 3 BT engineer vans have been seen outside our local exchange and speed has remarkably increased. Somebody obviously had the same problem in the area and got to BT first. Sorry to trouble you. Neil

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

No problem. Good that it's them and not you!

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown