Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Runs really fast then stops.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

I was sent here because of slow internet connection. In the other forum we have cleaned my computer top to bottom and it still runs slow. Here are my symtoms: When ever I boot my computer, the internet runs really fast for about 15 seconds or a dozen clicks or so. It does it with Firefox and Opera. I don't use IE. Also it takes MSN a long time to log in. Napster takes equally long to sign in. Windows update won't work at all. It tell me I have updates ready to download and install, but when I do, it says these were not installed, and lists them all. I have a Netgear router and both this computer and my laptop are wired into it. the laptop runs lightning fast as it always has, but this one has the problem. I have switched the wires to see if that was the problem, but no luck. The onboard Ethernet on the computer has a red light on, so I put a card in the computer and that is what I plug into. I thought the card was bad, so I unstalled it and bought another card and installed it, with no luck. This is a work computer and runs a Wide Format printer and reinstalling windoz is not really a option. Setting up all my software would take days and I can't be down for that long. Any suggestion besides taking a sledge hammer to the thing.

Edited by Quicksigns, 16 February 2008 - 12:45 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi Quicksigns :)

Lets see if we can fix some of those issues.

The important thing first, is updating. As it is vital to your pc's security.
The problem with microsoft's updater are well known, and luckily there are an easy cure.

Download Dial-A-Fix from here: LINK

Unzip it in a map of its own.

Once unzipped, do the following:

1.Doubleclick the blue wheel. (This will bring up a small menu)
2.Click the radio button named "Flush Softwaredistribution"
3.Place a check-mark in Fix windows updater
4.Click GO in the left lower corner
5.Wait for it to finish.

You may be prompted to restart, do so.
Now you should be able to update, I recommend you do that right away.

Let me hear how it went, and then we'll try take on the rest.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Did all that. But when I open Internet Explorer to go to the update page, 2 IE's open and both windows stay blank. If I go up to tools and Windows Update, it opens another window and stays blank. The icon for IE in the start menu is one of the unrecognized icons that windows uses.

#4 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi again Quicksigns When exactly did this problem occur, before or after your PC was cleaned? Has IE always been this way? You may have to run the System File Checker or SFC. To do this, you need a genuine original windows CD (Not OEM or Recovery). Let me know if you haven't got one. Regards Abydos

Abydos

#5 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

It all started when I got Malware Crush bug and ran Hijackthis. I think I deleted something that I wasn't supposed to. Since then, it has been small problems popping up here and there. The IE problem just started this week. The Malware Crush problem was fixed about 3 weeks ago. I have been living with the slow problem since then. I don't have a real Windows disk, just the OEM Reinstall disk that came with My computer. (Dell E520) IE Update works now, by the way.

Edited by Quicksigns, 16 February 2008 - 03:09 PM.

#6 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Now I get one of the Send Error Report things popping up everytime i reboot that says: "Services and Controller App has encountered a problem"...... When I click to send the report I get a error of Windows cannot find "http://oca.microsoft...id..........and a big long line of web site info.

Edited by Quicksigns, 16 February 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#7 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

NEW PROBLEM. I can't run any programs!! None. When I click on the icon, they start, I have a hour glass and then nothing. The hour glass goes back to the pointer and nothing happens. It just stays on the desktop.

#8 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi Quicksigns I read the topic where you posted your HJT, and saw your concern about deleting something which wasn't supposed to be deleted. With only an OEM, theres only so much choices regarding repairing / replacing lost files. Your current problems are probably due to lost / damaged files. One choice, is if you are so lucky, that you have an folder named i386. There can be a couple of them, but the one you need to find have around 7000 files or so, which also contains winnt.exe and winnt32.exe. If not located in your windows folder, try browse for it on your OEM-CD. Second option is to make a windows installation repair. This will not delete your current programs installed. But it will delete your updates for windows, which have to be re-installed. Altho it will not delete anything, it may be wise nonetheless to backup your most important data and files you don't want to loose by accident. Tell me if you wanna do the second option. Regards Abydos

Abydos

#9 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

I am still on my laptop, cause the other is not responding. I did find a REAL windows disk. Not a upgrade, but a full install disk. Does that change anything?

#10 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi Quicksigns

It sure changes things when you have a genuine windows CD.

Keep the CD within reach and do the following:

1. Start-->Run-->type: SFC /Scannow (Notice the space between C & / )

If it ask for the CD, pop it in.

The command will iniate a scan, which will try to repair / replace lost or damaged systems files. Let it run. It may take awhile.
It won't produce a log, but let me know if it asked for the CD.

If you want further info regarding SFC, then follow the link: LINK

The error you got with oca.microsoft.com/redir is the address to the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis site, and aint important for your problems right now. The reason why you get an error, may be that IE is flawed or is missing files. Lets see if the System File Checker will remedy this.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

I just rebooted again, and it is working. I can run programs. Had to do 3 restarts in a row, by holding in the power button till it shut down. Was the ONLY thing I could do. Am doing the SFC right now. And it asked for the windows professional disk, but i don't have pro installed. It accepted my Home Edition and is running as we speak.

#12 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

It sometimes ask for a Pro CD, but this is only a problem if you don't have a folder named DLLcache, which you obvoiusly had :thumbup: In the link I gave you, its explained how to work around this problem. For further use if you stumble into the problem again elsewhere :) Regards Abydos

Abydos

#13 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

SFC is done. It never ask me to do anything. Back at the C:\ prompt. Should I restart?

#14 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi Quicksigns It shouldn't be necessary, but it won't harm either B) After this, please tell me how things are going? Regards Abydos

Abydos

#15 Quicksigns

Quicksigns

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

Back to running the internet slow. But at least the programs work.

Edited by Quicksigns, 16 February 2008 - 05:15 PM.