This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't disable 'Turn off advanced text services'

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone! How's your Easter going? Well, my old computer finally exploded, so I'm now using my dad's old clunker. I installed Japanese in the languages, but noticed the language bar is not showing up. I had a look through the Regional and Language Options, and noticed 'Turn off advanced text services' is checked with a warning noting this isn't advised for Asian languages. Well, I unchecked it, clicked 'OK' and 'Apply' where appropriate, but each time the language bar continues to be absent, and upon returning to that check box, it's checked again! A little Googling suggests a registry error, but none of the forums I went to seemed to explain in great detail how to fix this, so I was hoping to get advice I trusted here. Computer specs: System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Manufactured and Supported by: Northgate AMD Athlon™ XP 1500+ 1.33 GHz, 1.96 GB of RAM HJT report attached. Thank you.
Thanks, Nahumi, however the problem described in that link does not describe my problem. I do not know if the language bar was ever on, to be honest. I found another bit on that site that fit better, though I did try both hotfixes, neither worked, and I upgraded to Service Pack 3 to use these hotfixes. The problem persists. UPDATE: Shortly after leaving this reply, my computer froze. Music playing ceased, cursor would not move, nothing would respond. Rebooted the computer, and it asked to check files on FAT32 for consistency. I let it, and it said it made changes. This has actually happened a couple of times in the past few of days.
Nahumi, I've been tinkering a bit and still am unable to keep the 'Turn off advanced text services' disabled. Is there anything else you can think of that we can try?
This is what I do:
  • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
  • Click Regional and Language Options.
  • Click the Languages tab, and then click Details.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Check Turn off advanced text services.
  • Click Apply then OK.
  • Click Apply then OK.
See, normally yes, that'd work. The problem is, though, that after closing the details window, the check reappears and nothing has actually changed.
Whoops, sorry for not getting back.

Try Ztrukers steps just to verify that you're doing it right.

The check that the computer does when it crashes like that is called ChkDsk (or Check Disk).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

It just makes sure that nothing has corrupted due to the crash. It's standard procedure in XP and earlier versions. I'm not sure about Vista or Windows 7, but I've never seen it run. (Ztruker may have an answer on that).

You said that you installed Service Pack 3 to try and fix the problem, do you have any outstanding updates or any failed updates?

And do you have your installation disc handy? The reason I ask is because it might be worth running Scan Disk to verify system files. It's a long shot, but it could fix the problem. If you haven't got your Installation Disc for Windows XP then it won't work, unfortunately.
I've been doing it like Ztrucker said since the first time I tried. It was indeed a Check Disk process. I don't know if I have any outstanding or failed updates. How would I check for this? And no, I haven't an installation disk. I do however have my Microsoft Office 2000 2-disc set which I need to install East Asian languages in the first place. Perhaps reinstalling those would help?
Yes, it is possible that the language package wasn't installed correctly. I've just found quite a comphrensive and detailed guide on installing the East Asian languages under XP :

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Prog…llation_XP.html

It doesn't say anything about using Microsoft Office to install the languages. My guess is that you installed language support for Office only, not for XP.

Try the guide to see if that works. I'll keep digging to see what else I can find on this issue.
Sorry for my late reply. I've had a busy few days. I reinstalled Microsoft Office Pro to no avail. I believe that these disks have the languages on them because without them installed, East Asian languages don't show up in the drop boxes to be selected for installation. I do indeed have Japanese installed correctly. My problem, once again, is that the 'Turn off advanced text services' will not come unchecked despite unchecking it myself, applying the change, and hitting OK. When I return to that window, it is still checked. I repeat unchecking and applying, and the change does not stay. When clicking the button for 'language bar', everything is greyed and I am unable to select anything.
Possible reasons and solutions: 1.Missing,corrupted or renamed CTFMON.exe file - its location should be here if Windows is installed on disk C:, then the directory is here -> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ If there is not CTFMON.exe in this directory. Copy this file from other PC and paste it in this directory 2.Open Notepad and copy this code below Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] "ctfmon"="CTFMON.EXE" 3. Save it. 4.Change the your file extension from ".txt" to ".reg". 5. Double click this file > then click "Yes" and "OK" button. 6. restart your PC. If the Language is still not appear. Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Regional and Language Options' > 'Language' tab > 'Details…' button >click 'ADVANCED' tab > DESELECT 'Turn off advanced text services' > click 'Apply' > click 'OK' in 'Regional and Language Options' > 'Language' tab > 'Details…' button >click 'Settings' tab > click 'Language Bar…' > tick 'Show the Language bar on the desktop' and others as desired > click 'OK' and it should reappear. GOOD LUCK

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI