This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

can't copy or move folders in windows 2000pro

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can rename, delete and create shortcuts but can't copy or move things into another folder or off of another hard drive. Had been infected with zmr Generic11.IDY but have cleaded it. Have been into acoounts and have full permission on all accounts Any help with this one? Thanks
Can you do this if you boot to Safe Mode? Login as Administrator? Try creating a new Account, see if you can do it from there.
I can boot into safe mode but, I logged off and into a different account and can do everything and even move/copy folders into the account that I'm having problems with, but when I go back into the problem account the stuff I copied into the account is there but I can't copy/move it. One more thing I can copy /paste text into this forum.
Hi, if you are having problems still, with copying stuff or moving it even when operating in a new user account then its usually a permissions problem…. A quick and easy way around this is to boot into Linux Puppy and copy all your important stuff to removable media… A USB hard drive is ideal for this. Linux is not bothered about Windows permissions, so it should do the trick for you. You can then copy across all your stuff from the external drive into the new user account you set up under Win 2K. Post back if you need detailed instructions on any of this and one of us will get back to you. Regards paws
Paws, he can get to the data from another account so it sounds like a corrupted account problem.

gobowling, create a new account and copy all your user data over to it. Pick a name you can live with as you will be keeping it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Or follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
  • Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you will be keeping it.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
  • Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
  • Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
  • Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile.

Paws, he can get to the data from another account so it sounds like a corrupted account problem.


Yes I agree: corrupted user account is almost certainly responsible….. I hadn't realised that he can copy/move stuff OK via his new user account…..that being the case then there's no need for Linux Puppy…
Thank Rich
Regards
paws
I thought of that after I made the last post and that is what im going to do. Make new account and copy everything I want into it. Thanks for your help. :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI