This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot change file names or copy and paste

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running Vista and have an issue…I cannot copy and paste files of any kind. I can't move anything (well, I can move files to the recycle bin, but can't restore and can't empty). I can't change file names. When I hit properties the box that says read only in filled in (not checked, but filled in). When I try to change it, it just goes right back to what it was. Admittedly, this is something I believe I did inadvertently. I deleted a registry key 3AD05575-8857-4850-9277-11B85BDB8E09 not fully knowing what it was, yes, stupid and even worse is that I did not save a copy of anything. I have posted this on another forum and had no results of info. I have plugged that string into a browser and can't seem to come up with anything useful…or something I understand. Oh, and I cannot perform a syatem restore. I continually get an error message that nothing was changed. Please, any info would be helpful. Thanks!!
You deleted an important registry key …. silly question, but why did you delete it? (Elavated status key) You can try to import these keys: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}] Or, run a "Repair Install".
I'm not really sure. :blush:

This is what was deleted

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}]
"DllSurrogate"=""
"AccessPermission"=hex:01,00,04,80,58,00,00,00,68,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,\
00,00,02,00,44,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,03,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
05,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,07,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0a,00,00,00,\
00,00,14,00,03,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,02,00,00,00,\
00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,\
00,00

So, I would suggest a Repair installation of the OS.

You deleted an important registry key …. silly question, but why did you delete it?

Well, that is a good question…I had assumed them as part of a virus. The file I was trying to delete would not delete and this string was attached to it. So, off with its head!

Jacee, where would thaddy1978 import those keys from?

That's what I would like to know

So, I would suggest a Repair installation of the OS.

How might I go about this? I have a Lenovo SL400 and it came preloaded. I have no rescue disks.
And thanks for the info so far!!!!!!!!!! Another forum I asked this question on two weeks ago still has yet to provide even an "I don't know."
So I downloaded the Vista Rescue disks, but when I tried to use them, they give me no option for anything dealing with the Registry. Most of the options deal with Windows not starting properly (fixing start-up problems), Last known good configuration, system restore to an earlier date, etc. When I checked the system restore and then clicked the box to show restore dates beyond five days, I no longer have any dates that show up when I made the change in the registry. Any other ideas for my problem? I m kinda stuck. I can add, copy, and rename files through the command prompt, but that is a huge pain. I just need the registry files, but can't seem to find them anywhere. What's the next step?
According to the Service and Troubleshooting Guide, you can do Rescue and Recovery (of files I believe) and Restore to Factory Settings from a hidden partition on your hard drive, which is accessible at boot time.

So, perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to save your data, then restore to factory state.

Before doing that, you could try taking the registry data Jacee provided and add it back into the registry, see if that helps. If not then factory restore would be the next step.

Copy the data in the following box, then open Notepad and paste it in there. Save it to your Desktop as "HopeAndPray.reg" :D (including double quotes so .txt is not added to the name). You can do this on another computer if necessary then port it to this one with a flash drive.

Double click on the file on your desktop and select Yes to merge it into the registry.

Create a new System Restore point before doing this so if it causes any problems, you can get back to where you are in case you do not want to do a factory restore.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{3ad05575-8857-4850-9277-11b85bdb8e09}]
"DllSurrogate"=""
"AccessPermission"=hex:01,00,04,80,58,00,00,00,68,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,\
00,00,02,00,44,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,03,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
05,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,07,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0a,00,00,00,\
00,00,14,00,03,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,02,00,00,00,\
00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,\
00,00

According to the Service and Troubleshooting Guide, you can do Rescue and Recovery (of files I believe) and Restore to Factory Settings from a hidden partition on your hard drive, which is accessible at boot time.

So, perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to save your data, then restore to factory state.

Before doing that, you could try taking the registry data Jacee provided and add it back into the registry, see if that helps. If not then factory restore would be the next step.

Copy the data in the following box, then open Notepad and paste it in there. Save it to your Desktop as "HopeAndPray.reg" :D (including double quotes so .txt is not added to the name). You can do this on another computer if necessary then port it to this one with a flash drive.

Double click on the file on your desktop and …


Well, I tried this and it appears to now be in my registry, but no changes have taken place. I did a restart to see if that would change things and nada.

Now, I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I hit properties on a folder, its default has the "read only" box colored in, not checked, but colored. And when I change it, it says…well what its supposed to say and I click "okay." When I hit properties on the same folder, it has gone right back to the "read only" being colored in again. What would be the next step…?

Save your data and do a restore to factory default.



Dang!!!! I knew that would work, but that's the absolute last resort that I wanted to avoid. I have so much data and so few disks…thanks anyway for the help everyone!
LDTate just pointed out to me that there was a missing leading [ before HKEY in the registry hack I posted!. I've corrected it, so please try it one more time, just to see if that fixes it.

Edit: I just verified that missing that leading [ causes the registry change not to take effect, even though no error message is generated, so there is still hope it will work.

LDTate just pointed out to me that there was a missing leading [ before HKEY in the registry hack I posted!. I've corrected it, so please try it one more time, just to see if that fixes it.

Edit: I just verified that missing that leading [ causes the registry change not to take effect, even though no error message is generated, so there is still hope it will work.


ZTruker, Thanks for the effort, but it still didn't change anything. Well, it did add those strings back in the registry, but nothing changed as far as being able to change file names. I still cannot copy and paste files or rename. I can do it through the command prompt, but that's a royal pain.
Sorry that didn't help. I'd say it's time to use the recovery options I gave you the link to before. Make sure you back up any data before doing this as it's quite likely it will all be deleted during the recovery process.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI