This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 Admin Permission

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to move an exe file from a thumb drive to a folder that I created on a brand new HP PC with Windows 7. I keep getting the error, "You need permission from everyone to access this folder." I have gone in as the administrator, created a separate login for an administrator, turned off the UAC options, even downloaded software so that I can "Takeover" a folder and nothing has worked. This is a brand new computer right out of the box and I am the only user. How can I take complete control of the content of my own folders?

Thanks so much!
Casi
Hey CasiBK, That error could be referring to the USB stick and not your computer. There may be a little switch on the stick itself which "locks" it, similar to the locks that Floppy Disks had and which SD cards have now. Another possibility is that the computer you used to put the .exe file on the USB stick set the drive to "shared". You may have to plug it back into the original machine to double check the permissions on the stick itself. Alternatively, you could always try right clicking the new folder on the new PC and checking permissions there. Try sharing it and then un-sharing it. That may reset the permissions. Or you could always try copying it to somewhere else on your computer.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not the stick because I tried more than one. I also tried dropping the file directly onto the desktop and into the Documents folder. Neither worked and I got the same error. I have also tried changing the shared settings. I spent hours searching the web looking for an answer yesterday. Many people have the same issue but so far no one has given me a solution that works for me. Thanks so much, though.
Paws, I installed and tried that. Didn't work. :( Jacee, I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thank you both for your suggestions. Casi
It might be instructive if you try to copy the file to a different computer and see if the problem continues…… at least this will provide a clue to if its the file or the Win7 OS that is being problematic Regards paws
I have copied the same file to several compuers and have not had a problem. One of them was a Dell Windows 7 machine. I even uploaded it to a Shared Drive (online) and tried to download it from there. Still didn't work. I just need a way to override the Administrator access to turn it off completely. Why does it tell me that I need "Permission from Everyone?" Who is everyone? There is only one user set up on this computer and I am the Administrator.
What did you see when you looked at the ownership of the folder you created to copy the .exe file to? I'm wondering if this is a Firewall problem? What AV/Firewall are you using? Have you tried disabling it/them? Try booting to Safe Mode and see if you can copy it there.
As well as Rich's and Jacee's usual excellent advice…when you set the permissions are you going into advanced settings and including all "child folders"and sub folders? I mention this because its necessary to do this… regards apaws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI