Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

email-connection to the server has failed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rhendrickx

Rhendrickx

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

I am using windows xp - outlook express. This morning when I tried to log into my user screen - i got a windows error message saying that it was not accessable. Windows then opened a new user screen. I was able to access windows explorer and backed up most of my files. I was also able to log out and switch to another user screen - the email associated with that user worked fine.
I then re-tried my user screen and was able to log in - but that email is not working to send or recieve messages. I get the following message:
"The connection to the server has failed. Account:'mail.comcast.net', Server:'mail.comcast.net'. Protocol:POP3, Port 110, Secure(SSL): NO, Socket Error:10061 Error Number:0x800lcc0E"

I tried downloading RegCure (the free version only) but it did not work to fix it. I know my hard drive is nearly full (this an old desktop).
Any thoughts to fix?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

If you have a corrupted account (user profile) where things are all messed up when you login or you can't login then follow the directions here to create a new account and copy all your user data over to it:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

Or follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
  • Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you will be keeping it.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
  • Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
  • Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
  • Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user and everything is working, you can delete the old profile.

Another possibility ...

Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Your files are still there. Maybe your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored.
If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry entry that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start then Run, type regedit[/b] and press Enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Something like this:

S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-20
S-1-5-21-1343024091-1409082233-839522115-1003

Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called ProfileImagePath that will look like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2

This is just an example, could be someithing else weird.

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2", and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Got this from: http://techrepublic....ssageID=1914470

Also some excellent information here: http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown