I am using windows xp - outlook express. This morning when I tried to log into my user screen - i got a windows error message saying that it was not accessable. Windows then opened a new user screen. I was able to access windows explorer and backed up most of my files. I was also able to log out and switch to another user screen - the email associated with that user worked fine.
I then re-tried my user screen and was able to log in - but that email is not working to send or recieve messages. I get the following message: "The connection to the server has failed. Account:'mail.comcast.net', Server:'mail.comcast.net'. Protocol:POP3, Port 110, Secure(SSL): NO, Socket Error:10061 Error Number:0x800lcc0E"
I tried downloading RegCure (the free version only) but it did not work to fix it. I know my hard drive is nearly full (this an old desktop).
Any thoughts to fix?
If you have a corrupted account (user profile) where things are all messed up when you login or you can't login then follow the directions here to create a new account and copy all your user data over to it:
Or follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com
Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you will be keeping it.
Reboot the computer.
Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user and everything is working, you can delete the old profile.
Another possibility …
Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.
Your files are still there. Maybe your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored.
If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.
The key is a registry entry that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.
Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter. Navigate to