This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Recommend Any Remote Diagnosis Software?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm looking for some kind of remote diagnosis program. See, I do a little bit of computer maintenance for my family members and friends. What I mean by maintenance is something very simple: installing and deinstalling software; updating software versions; running antivirus and antispyware programs; making sure the firewall is working correctly. My family members are computer illiterate and rely on me to make a 150 mile trip to service their computers. Well, it's too annoying to drive that much just to reinstall Kaspersky for crying out loud! Or deinstall Comodo and reinstall Kaspersky, in that order! So what kind of remote programs are available? (Wait, aren't there some programs attached to external hard drives that allow you to do this as well?) Something that Dell tech service uses when you call them and give away the control of your PC to them? It doesn't have to be 1/10th as sophisticated – as long as it allows me to run programs from a remote location, it would probably suffice. Thanks so much for your input and ideas!
1. Windows Remote Access will allow you to use XP Professional or above to access any machine on your VPN network, or to which you know the actual IP. Remote access software must also be installed on each machine you wish to access. ___________________ 2. I've been using the FREE version of Logmein for the past several years to perform the exact type of work you propose for your family, though my remote computers belong to seniors, disabled and disadvantaged folks who receive my assistance on a pro bono basis.
Thanks for yoru reply. For (1), do you mean Windows XP's remote access feature? Does ti have to be XP Professional? Also, does it allow you to do more than just file transfer? I wanna be able to install/deinstall software, browse the web to download programs, etc.

Also, for (2), does LogMeIn provide similar features? How is it compared to GotoMyPC.com or Norton's PCAnywhere? I wanna be able to do computer maintenance remotely. If Windows XP can do the job, fine. But can my computer is Windows 7. Will that be a problem working with XP or Vista computers elsewhere?

1. Windows Remote Access will allow you to use XP Professional or above to access any machine on your VPN network, or to which you know the actual IP. Remote access software must also be installed on each machine you wish to access.
___________________
2. I've been using the FREE version of Logmein for the past several years to perform the exact type of work you propose for your family, though my remote computers belong to seniors, disabled and disadvantaged folks who receive my assistance on a pro bono basis.

Logmein is such an easy utility to use, that I have not spent much time with MS Remote Access. Years ago I used PCanywhere, but then there was a security problem with PCanywhere that caused me to shy away from them. The only thing I have heard about GoToMyPC is the commercial advertisements. So I'm afraid I can't be of much further use to you. With regard to MS Remote Access, the computer from which to control other computers must be XP Pro or newer. XP home is not sufficient. With XP Pro it is then possible to access and control "any" Windows machine to which you have VPN or IP access. Logmein can be operated from "any" machine, anywhere. Yes, the Logmein software must be installed on the remote machine(s). For the few dozen machines that I maintain, I keep them all on the same Logmein - My Computers account, each separated by separate password protected and encrypted access. Some of my clients run Vista, some Windows 7, but most run XP home or pro. Makes no difference to Logmein, which is fully functional with all of them. I like it because I can legally use the FREE version to provide FREE service to these folks who could otherwise not afford a paid type service. Best Regards
Thanks very much, looks like LogMeIn will meet all my needs, since I'm doing nothing fancy except very routine computer maintenance.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI