This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Adobe products

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I was unable to type on a questionnaire I was expecting. I have Adobe reader, Shockwave and flashplayer. Am I missing something so that when I open the document I can type on it? I tried the help but it said to use the select arrow then type. I had no luck. IIs this is a difficult task? Temporarily I have asked to have it sent with a different extension like .doc as I have word installed, but would be interested in my error. I have never had trouble with pdf etc. Thank you
Portable Data Files .PDF are not to be written on, by design. Some .PDFs (such as Tax forms) as specifically designed to allow the Reader to input information on specific lines. What type of .PDF document are you working with? Does it have specific writable entry lines, where the original author expects you to fill in your information?

Portable Data Files .PDF are not to be written on, by design.

Some .PDFs (such as Tax forms) as specifically designed to allow the Reader to input information on specific lines.

What type of .PDF document are you working with?
Does it have specific writable entry lines, where the original author expects you to fill in your information?




>>Thanx for writing back, Doug, as I thought it odd.
My wife received some applications to fill out which were originally sent as some extension Windows could not open.She asked to have then sent again.This time they came through as .pdf.
I did not know they could not be typed upon. We have requested they be sent once more as .doc as we have Word.
They appear to be a standard application with lines one would type or write upon. I was going to print out the forms and fax them but they wanted them emailed.
I appreciate the imformation. Doc. should do it right?
Peter

originally sent as some extension Windows could not open.


What file extension was it?
________________________

If these folks are sending out Forms with the expectation that the applicant will provide their personal information by filling in blank/writable lines, then they probably did create a "writable space form" that most people's computers could handle.

Just like tax forms and other similar, most of the written page cannot be over-written nor changed, but you should be able to type into the "fill-in-the-blank" areas where they wish you to provide your information.

I would reply to them about any mechanical troubles you are having filling in their Form and ask their assistance.

They might not want to provide a "file".doc format, since that would defeat their purpose of sending a secure questionnaire.
That is because in .doc you could change what they wrote, as well as your own responses.
Plus some email systems may not allow .doc format because they are potentially infectable.
Doug I have written for further advice and all I learned was that I need Acrobat to fill the forms in. Then I read the tutorial where you use the pointer to be allowed to fill in the forms. It was worse than a course in the entire MS Office Suite. I honestly do not know how the average user can apply the turorial regarding Adobe responses; it is almost code. Now , with your information about security or lack of it with .doc , I do not know how to do this. What do most pepole do to fill in application forms? If it is Adobe with it's complications I'll be licking stamps again. There must be an easier way. Thank you Peter
Try Foxit Reader 4.1 (FREE) .
It is a free and low-footprint alternative to Adobe Reader.

If you like it (and I do very much) you can rid yourself of the bloated Adobe Reader.

Download the file into which you wish to type your answers/information.
Open the "filename".pdf in Foxit Reader.exe

Simply place the mouse cursor into the fill-in space for each response…. and type

Alternatively, you can open and type into a .pdf with Internet Explorer.

Download and save the file same as above.
In Internet Explorer - Select - File - Open —- then navigate to where you saved the file.
Complete the document same way as with Foxit Reader, using your cursor (mouse arrow) and keyboard for typing your answer/information.

When you have finished completing the Forum… Rename it something unique like GrampyPetes application.pdf
Then send it back to them.
It is important to rename and save your completed application form so the originators don't mistake it for their own "blank" file
Thank you for the alternative to Adobe. I am pasting your information in my 'learning folder ' and will practice when I am up and able. Meanwhile, I will have the Mrs. see what she can do. I'll post back when I am able - hospital so could be a while. Thank you again
Doug
I am trying to do this with MSIE 8 but, per directions below, when I browse and open the .pdf file, a cursor blinks on the application but nothing happens when you type - even with the select tool. Also, if you hit the space bar it justs jumps to a new location on the page.

[Alternatively, you can open and type into a .pdf with Internet Explorer.
Download and save the file same as above.
In Internet Explorer - Select - File - Open —- then navigate to where you saved the file.
Complete the document same way as with Foxit Reader, using your cursor (mouse arrow) and keyboard for typing your answer/information.]

Also I read about Foxit reader 4.1 and it said, "allows you to open, view, and print any PDF file." There is no mention of typing on a form.

**Redundantly, I ask, "What does the average person do when sent a form to fill in?"
Could the trouble be on the sender's end or is it me?
Is it possible to send an application that the average user can type upon without Acrobat Reader which I understand is quite expensive.
For example, if the IRS sent me a form, properly to print upon, would I be able to type on it w/o jumping through hoops?
As you indicated, "Some .PDFs (such as Tax forms) as specifically designed to allow the Reader to input information on specific lines."

**Please read an exerpt from the Secunia forum,"In general, Adobe Reader does not allow you to alter a PDF. You need Adobe Acrobat to do that(expensive). If the PDF author has incorporated the form filling facility, this Adobe article describes how to use it but with some maneuvering" http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Reader/9.0/index.html .

What extension would you suggest I ask the sender to use so I can safely fill it out ?

P.S. I noticed the N.D. address + something will be on the way for all the help.
Hi Peter, until Doug or one of the other experts gets back to you…here's old paws' "low tech" method that never fails….. 1 Print out copy of the form 2 Fill it in with your trusty pen or ballpoint (black ink) 3 Scan it to your computer and email it off to where it needs to go….. 4 as an alternative you could mail it…but perhaps I should not be saying that on a tech site! Regards paws
Peter,

Your question about possible problems at the sender's end, is the most likely remaining avenue that I see… presuming that you have either a well functioning installation of Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader.

Yes.
You could download any available Form or Schedule from www.irs.gov
And you would be able to "fill in the blanks" using Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, or your Internet Explorer.
I just did it again right now for practice to assure that current Adobe/Foxit/IE still presently have the capability. They all do.
http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsInstructions.html

I suggest that you actually conduct an experiment.
Download IRS Form 1040.
Save it to your hard drive.
Open it with Foxit Reader, IE 8, or Adobe Reader.

Since the IRS Forms are "known-good" for typing in the required information, you should be able to do so with no problem.

If you have a problem typing into an IRS form, then there is something wrong with your computer, operating system, utilities, or application software.
Let us know, if you then have additional questions for trouble-shooting.

If you are successful with an IRS form (you don't have to send it back, just use it as an experiment),but still can't fill-in the application .pdf page in question, then the source/sender of your current correspondence has a problem with their form.

P.S. Are all of your MS updates and patches current?
Some .pdf functions may be dependent upon .netframework 3.5 (which should have already come to you with the monthly patch-Tuesday updates from MS
Hi Paws I think I hit Doug too many times; he did a great job. All patches, updates etc are current. Secunia adv. gives me 100%. I did the test you recommend (which I should have thought of) and was able to fill the form in. The sender is being notified by an irate wife that they should send something an old, sick guy does not have to research. :smack: WTT to the rescue once again and thank you so much. Peter
Yes Peter, Doug seems to have hit the nail on the head again… All good wishes for the hospital visit……all of us here at WTT are sending you strong postive thoughts for a good result and outcomes Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI