This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Excel & Word 2007 on VISTA

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I am using Office 2007, specifically Word and Excel running on VISTA. For no apparent reason when I mouse click on the "?" symbol in the upper right corner which should take me Office Online Help, nothing happens. There are no problems with my internet connection and I can ordinarily connect to Microsoft Office help online via my browser. I attach a screenshot once I try to conect to onlne contextual help. I would appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks

Attachments:

Hello 'NormanRichma',

I notice you have had your system checked by LDTate only yesterday. Good result.

I now suggest you follow below and post back after you reboot you machine with how your machine is running. SFC scan does not leave a report and will take sometime to complete so please be patient.

kind regards,

_______________

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
Hi,

Murphy's Law rides again. Since my initial post SP1 for Office 2007 was automatically downloaded and once installed, Office 2007 Help was once again available! Do you think I now need to follow your instructions (I notice they refer to Windows XP - I have Vista) or should I leave well alone especially as I don't have any installion discs for Windows Vista as it came pre-installed. Thanks very much for your speedy response.

Norman
Hello again NormanRichma,

Glad all is well, leave well alone if all is fine with your machine. Here is the link to explain this process for Vista OS.

Thanks for posting back with the information.

Just so I can understand, is there a reason you are posting in large font and in bold format?

kind regards,
Hi Tallin, The reason for the large font is simply that my eyes aren't what they used to be and it's far easier for me to read. Regards, Norman
Hi Norman
Yes, all understood.
Both tallin and the rest of us here are happy for you to use as big a font size as you like.
Please feel free to use whatever is more comfortable for you.
:thumbup:
Regards
paws
Hi NormanR,

Paws is absolutely correct in his post, you just keep on doing what you are doing and we will be most happy with that.

Thanks for posting back to us.

kind regards,
:wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI