This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help with fonts!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

To change the default language: 1. Click Start and then Control Panel. 2. Double-click Regional and Language Options. 3. Click the Languages tab. 4. Click Details, then Add. 5. Under Input Language, add the language you want. 6. Under Keyboard Layout/IME, click the keyboard layout you want to use. 7. Click OK. To switch languages in Windows XP, use “Language” bar. To switch languages or keyboards: 1. On the Language bar, click the button representing language [EN, other language e.g. DE, etc.] or keyboards. 2. On the menu, click a language or keyboard layout. Language settings can also be changed using the Language button in the task bar when the Language bar has been minimized. It also functions in various programs, such as Word. The Language bar is a floating tool bar that can be moved to different locations on the monitor screen. Using the Language bar, users' language settings are stored in their user profile. arTech
Thanks arTech, can you please let me know the procedure to do this in Windows 7 Home Basic version? How can I check which languages are pre-installed in my laptop?
How to use the United States-International keyboard layout in Windows 7, in Windows Vista, and in Windows XP

This is a example for US keyboard layout, but you can choose what you want.

arTech
Thanks arTech. I got the answer to this simple query and I am also able to do it myself. Can you please answer once more: I just want to know if there is any need to install fonts for any language that I want to use or will they come pre-installed with every operating system?
arTech, can you please help me once again in this: I recently gone to my sister's house. Her desktop was running Windows XP. She asked to do the setting so that she can type in hindi. I checked in language and settings in Control Panel and hindi option was not present in Languages and Keyboard drop downs. I thought that hidi font is not installed on the system so I downloaded 1 hindi font and save the ttf file for that on desktop. Then, I go to Control Panel > Fonts > File > Install New Font and installed the font that I downloaded from desktop. After doing this procedure, I checked and there is no new option in both language and keyboard layout drop down. I restarted the computer and no change. Can anyone please help me in setting that computer?
If you installed new font type properly, open your text editor (Office Word likely) and in Font menu find new font. This is a entirely new font with new stile and shape and all Hindi specific. New language in Regional and Language Options is something different, and with installed Hindi language you would be able to write with already installed fonts. arTech
Can you please let me where exactly where I find that font listed in MS Word as I also have hindi font installed (and I do not see that option) here. Also, as you say " New language in Regional and Language Options is something different, and with installed Hindi language you would be able to write with already installed fonts.", can you please let me know how are these different? How I make hindi appear in Language and Keyboard Layout drop down?
You can find new installed Hindi font at the same place in MS Word where you choose/change e.g. Arial instead Tahoma or Verdana font. You can't make Hindi appear in Language and Keyboard Layout drop down.
I think you are wrong here. I tried this on my compaq laptop with windows 7 that has hindi fonts preinstalled. Also, hindi is showing as an option here in language and keyboard layout but i cannot type in hindi after selecting hindi in ms word until i selected hindi option in language and keyboard drop down. After doing that, i am able to type in hindi. So, it leads me to believe that you cannot type in any other language than in english unless you have hindi selected in language and keyboard drop down. So, now my query is how can i make hindi appear in language and keyboard layout? But since you have said no to this, can you please explain me the reason for this?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI