LesW
Topic Starter
Dear forum members
Could you please help with the following problem?
To add an added layer of security to a few sensitive files I took what I perceived to be a simple solution. I bought an IronKey USB data drive and attached it to our Server which is running Windows 2003 Server.
The logic being that the USB drive is encrypted and therefore has its own password screen to open it. Equally should the server be stolen then the drive would be inaccessible. There are only a couple of people who need to access the files on the USB drive. I then created a mapped drive from the two PC’s to the USB drive, making it shared.
The problem
Having inserted the USB drive it duly mounted with an assigned drive letter. I then hooked up to the server from a PC via RDC and opened the executable file that opens the logon dashboard so I could enter the password. So far, so good.
The problem (if you aren’t already ahead of me) is that when accessing the USB via the mapped drive and clicking on the EXE file it opens it locally to the server and not to the PC’s. This means from the PC end you don't see the password screen. Doh! springs to mind
My choices seem to be :
a)Have the PC’s access the server via RDC and load to the server some type of Word and Excel reader (the files on the USB are doc and xls files).
b)Find a way of making a single USB drive accessible by two PC’s (they are in close proximity to each other)
Any suggestions or alternative solutions would be gratefully accepted.
Regards
Les W