First, here is the setup:
2 pc's, both running winXP, connected by LAN. PC1 has an external harddrive connected through USB. PC2 can see and access it, if PC1 has given access through file sharing.
Problem:
Every time PC1 restarts, the file sharing has to be set manually to give PC2 access to the drive.
Is there a way to do this automatically on startup? Maybe a .bat file or some script.
Thanks in advance
lukaspanic
Your post seems to have been missed. Our apologies.
We hope you enjoy the forum and find answers to your current problem. I do not have it, but another volunteer will come by to reply to your post or perhaps the links provided may help.
Did you set up you own sharing Network?
Here is a good link that might solve your problem. I got the link from here.
Keep us posted on your progress and do not hesitate to post back for more information.
What you are trying to do should work. I have a similar setup on my network where I share a 250GB external USB drive between 3 computers, though they all run XP Pro, not XP Home.
Since this requires you to modify the registry. Before you make this change to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.
Then if something is deleted that shouldn't have been, simply go to the C:\Windows\erdnt folder and pick the erdnt.exe wanted to restore the registry to it's state when it was backed up. This can even be done from the Recovery Console if needed
Thank you tallin for the welcome and no worries about the wait, it's not a pressing issue, more like an inconvenience.
@Ztruker: The access to the drive is working fine and I have no trouble setting the file sharing. I just have to have my wife set the sharing permission every time she restarts her computer because the drive is connected to her pc, not mine. I would like that to happen automatically but I don't know the batch commands to set file sharing. Does anyone know if there are such commands or some script or program that I could have her computer run at startup?
Lukaspanic, yes, I understood that. The IRPStackSize setting may have an affect on the external USB device maintaining it's drive letter and security settings, which is why I suggested changing it to see if it makes a difference. If so, then you would not need some other means of reapplying the security setting of the drive at each boot. If not, nothing lost.
If IRPStackSize is not there and you create it, you can delete it if it doesn't make any difference.