This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problem sharing external USB drive

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to share an external USB drive over a TCP/IP network. All systems are running Windows XP. The Western Digital 500GB external USB drive is connected to a PC named "Server". I shared the drive and My Computer shows a shared symbol for the drive. On PC2 the drive is visible and I can begin the process of mapping a letter to the USB drive. However, when I click "finish" it tries to connect but the following error results: "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" Any help would be appreciated.
Open the registry editor and navigate to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Look for a sub-key called IRPStackSize

if it is not present, then create it: right-click on -parameters- in the left pane and choose New—> DWORD Value
type in IRPStackSize (then press [enter] )
right-click the IRPStackSize key and choose -modify- then give it a value of 'c' (hex….equals 12 decimal.)

if you HAVE the key present, it likely already IS 0xC (12) and the problem is somewhere else…..

If the key is not present, the default is 4. XP should have it at 12 (this is the max valid value The default value of the IRPStackSize parameter is 15. The range is from 11 (0xb hexadecimal) through 50 (0x32 hexadecimal).
.)

[Re-boot.]

Tallon41
Thanks for your reply. I added the IRPStackSize parameter as you suggested. There was already a "Size" parameter which I also changed to 12. I did this to both the PC connected to the USB drive as well as the PC trying to map to the drive.(do I need to do both PC's?) However, the problem still persists. What next?
I did reboot the PC I'm trying to map to the drive. Do I need to reboot the PC the drive is connected to? I don't want to disrupt the workers during the day. I'll reboot it this evening if you tell me it's needed.
on any PC when a change like that is made it would need to be restarted. If you did restart it after the change, that is good enough. Tallon41 [edit : go back and read my first response…..the XP defaults I had were old it seems…..I found a doc on MS that said : The default value of the IRPStackSize parameter is 15. The range is from 11 (0xb hexadecimal) through 50 (0x32 hexadecimal). so bump it up to 20,(14 hex) and try that. ]
Thanks for sticking with me on this. Here is some more data: Let's call PC1 the PC with the external USB drive connected to it. PC2 is the PC we want to see the drive on the network. At present PC2 can see shared directories on PC1 but not its external USB drive. Adding and setting the IRPStackSize to 20 on PC2 did not solve the problem. Adding IRPStackSize to PC1 caused a loss of network sharing. PC2 (as well as other computers) could no longer see any of PC1's shares on the network. I had to remove the paramerter from PC1. There may be a permissions problem also. When I try to view the external drive using explorer on PC2 I get a permissions error in addition to the not enough server storage error. I've given everyone full rights on the share.

At present PC2 can see shared directories on PC1 but not its external USB drive.

[on PC2] Is there a Hand under the USB drive Volume folder ?

What XP type is PC2 and are the others Pro or home or mixed ?

Permissions must be configured in "Sharing" [default is 'read' only….need to add 'change' rights if you need them to write to that volume.]

Adding and setting the IRPStackSize to 20 on PC2 did not solve the problem.

this is the only PC you need to increase the lanmanserver value on….not the 'clients.'

There may be a permissions problem also. When I try to view the external drive using explorer on PC2 I get a permissions error in addition to the not enough server storage error. I've given everyone full rights on the share.

This may stem from different XP versions (home and pro.)

Tallon41
There is a hand under the USB drive folder on PC1 (That is the PC with the USB external drive connected to it). IRPStackSize cannot be added to this computer since it prevents all access from network PC's. Are you saying this is the PC that needs it? Sharing is set to full control. All Pc's are running XP Pro.

There is a hand under the USB drive folder on PC1 (That is the PC with the USB external drive connected to it). IRPStackSize cannot be added to this computer since it prevents all access from network PC's. Are you saying this is the PC that needs it?

yes. it is strange that it seems to object to it….you are keying-in 14 (decimal 20,) right ?


try this work-around.
Remove the share you have so far, and mount the USB-drive inside a NTFS folder instead.

1.remove the drive letter currently assigned to it, or add another path to the drive.
Start—-right-click -my computer-, choose -manage-
When the "computer management" window opens, choose -disk management-
when the right-top/bottom panes populate, in the bottom section, right-click on the USB drive and choose "change drive letter and paths…"
when the "change Drive letter and Paths for [label of USB drive]" window opens, it will display the current drive letter assignment.

You now have 2 choices:

I recommend #2 for the kind of 'sharing' you will be doing. I also recommend that the drive be NTFS formatted, and if it is not, [and you have no WIN98 or WIN-ME or any other Legacy users needing access to it,] then use the CONVERT command [open a DOS COMMAND window and type HELP CONVERT for instructions on the use of it. it is important to do the converting BEFORE the drive letter is removed ! ]
1. Keep the existing drive letter assignment and ADD a new path to this drive.
2. REMOVE the existing path, then ADD the new one.

when you click the -add- button, a new window will open with 2 options, to either:
specify a drive letter, or
Mount in the following empty NTFS folder.—–choose this one. there will be a -browse- button, click it.
Click on the c: drive and choose "new folder". Your choice on what to name it. Try to keep it short. e.g. USB-DRIVE then [ok] everything.

You can now go to "My computer", click the -folders- button at the top, maximize the window, in the left pane expand drive C: look for the new folder you made.
right-click, choose -properties- and you can assign "sharing" permissions and "security" as if it is a regular "folder" on your PC. and it should show-up as such.


Tallon41
All drives are NTFS. I followed your instructions and there is now a shared "folder" on the C:\ drive. The symbol is a hand but it is holding a drive rather than a folder. Also, the properties/general for the "folder" says the type is a "Mounted Volume". Share and security are all set to full control. However, the problem persists! If I browse to the network and click the drive folder the message says "path not found".
and if you open "my computer" and in the address bar, type \\ComputerNameForPC1\ShareNameForUSBdrive\ (then press [enter] ) what happens ? Tallon41
If I type it exactly as you said the message is: Windows cannot find \\Server\\Ext-USB-500GB\ If I only put one \ after PC1 the message is: \\Server\Ext-USB-500GB\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator … Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

If I type it exactly as you said the message is:
Windows cannot find \\Server\\Ext-USB-500GB\

My fault, I've edited that, there should only be two at the begining.



…is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator …


Is there a firewall on PC1 and have you tried turning it off ?

on PC1 open a dos window and maximize it, (start—-accessories—command prompt.)

type CD \
should have a c:> now
type netstat -an

see if it is listening on TCP port 139, or post it here.
——————————

In the 'security' tab of the Ext-USB-500GB shared folder, you needed to add the "everyone" group and give it change rights.
Since they are all XP-Pro, ensure that they are all either using "simple file sharing"…or not. [recommend that once security permissions are set, that all use "simple file sharing" (security tab will not be avail when using it.)]
(open "my computer" click tools—folder options. when the "folder options" window opens, click the -view- tab, push the scroll bar to the bottom, the last box for all needs to be the same.) "apply" or "ok" any changes and close it.
Next, click Start—right-click "my computer" choose -properties-, choose the "remote" tab on the System and see if in the "remote desktop" section the "allow users to connect…." is checked.
If it IS checked then access will only be granted with usernam/password combinations….and even then it must be a user account that exists on the Local Machine (PC1.)

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI