This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

recover files

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to recover files from an external hard drive a friend used to backup files to from his old job before he left. The program he found out his boss was using is Microsoft Synch Toy 2.1.

Should I just hook up the external drive to his own pc and if a drive appears, mount it to find files to copy and paste to the new pc?

I know I asked a similar question but the program was not mentioned before. I think it is just a way to keep files in synch on two different devices but don't  know if it would help recover the files from the external drive. I do not see how but if I am wrong please correct me?

 

PS Is mounting necessary if a drive appears to copy and paste?

biggest question tho because the drive was used to backup data from his old job is who actually owns the data on it, him or his old work place but that's not our problem tho. :D

 

so onto answering your query,

 

if when connected the drive appears and files/folders are able to be seen then it is already mounted. ;)

 

far as i can tell Microsoft Synch Toy 2.1. doesn't use any encryption and just keeps data/folders in sync on the backup drive so you shouldn't need to use it to be able to access the files on the drive.

 

so yes just connect it and then copy/paste or move the needed data from 1 drive to the other.

 

i f no files or data is seen on the external then it may be that the drive was wiped destroying them or the files may have just been deleted before the drive was disconnected, only way to know which is to use some file recovery software to check, i use photorec.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI