I just saw your EDIT. Please verify the SATA drivers fixed the problem and if need be you can continue with my other instructions if it still gives problems. Until then, yes, you will have to leave the SATA mode set to its original settings.
quick question - Reinstalling will remove all drivers - correct (i know this bit…)
am i only installing the 3 drivers that you suggested above or am i re-installing all drivers that will be missing (such as Modem, Bluetooth etc.) as this isn't my laptop, it's our Finance Director's wife's laptop
EDIT: I know there's a 15 minute gap between these replies but i've only just seen it and am already in the process of re-installing with the SATA settings changed to IDE
Well, thats a drag, because it sounded as if it may have been resolved by the SATA driver update? Sometimes I kick myself in the butt for providing too many instructions at once but I like to have it all out there so you can move forward without me. Installing the SATA driver update was an after thought that I squeezed in to my initial text and so it may not have flowed as clearly as it should've. I do apologize about that. Either way, you are certainly going to resolve your issue by doing this I'm 99% positive.
Anyways, as far as drivers go, if you have a set of "recovery discs" like I think you have then it is preloaded with all the HP software and drivers. When you get it reinstalled all the drivers should already be loaded. I am merely suggesting that you update the couple of drivers that I listed. None of the other drivers should need to be updated unless you are having a specific problem, doing so could just add more problems.
oh well, you live and learn
so am i changing SATA settings in BIOS back to SATA not IDE and re-installing then updating SATA driver then it's done?
While i was re-installing yesterday, i got an error during that install which was something along the lines of "D:\Windows\System32SOMETHING.dll" The installation package doesn't match what it should do, please check it against your installation diskette. i have 4 problems with that:
1) There is no Diskette drive
2) This is the original Installation CD
3) What does it mean?
4) Does it matter?
At this point Duey, you suggested that the new SATA RAID drivers might have fixed the problem, but we were not entirely sure because I don't feel there was enough testing. So, it is possible that you could use the SATA mode set to SATA and update those drivers and reinstalling the OS to get everything working.
However, by running SATA in IDE mode we can bypass those problems all together. My suggestion here is that you leave the SATA mode set to IDE.
So, are you saying now that your SATA mode is set to IDE and you have the operating system reloaded, except for one small error during the install? Or were you unable to successfully reinstall the operating system?
If successful, how are things running at the moment? No blue screens?
As far as that error goes, it is really too vague to answer for sure but I get the feeling it can be ignored. However, if you see it again, please provide the exact filename and message you are receiving.
Hi Duey. Yeah, the edits can be hard to track when we are practically speaking real time. THe edits I made were insignificant, I just swapped a couple of words around to make sure I didn't confuse you.
Anyways, can you verify that there are no problems in device manager requiring further attention?
Next, you can get service pack 3 and all your updates installed.
Really, you should be good to go.
EDIT: I see you already updated.
device manager is all fine, (no missing drivers etc)
SP3 is installed and i'm just finishing off the last dregs of updates then it's all back up and running.
Cheers for your help.
Regards
Duey
EDIT: you've got to be really good to confuse me, thats MY usual trick!
After nearly 2 years of problems i guess i finally got it.
The real culprit in my case seems to be the following file:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiport.sys
I found that this file was loaded although it is not needed at this machine.
Kill the file and the BS are gone.
2 points:
- Since this is a system file, you need to go safe mode and then kill both versions in drivers and in dllcache directory (maybe the sp3.cab in addition?)
- For sure you need to run the SATA controller in IDE emulation mode.
During the last 2 years i saw this problem on the following notebooks:
- later revisions of 6730b (fixed with bios update)
- 6735s
- 2730p
If you search around the internet for scsiport.sys you will quickly find out that microsoft has done wrong with it for several times, but there is no XP SP3 patch for this one. Awfully it is also not referenced at the Bluescreen.
I just want to add that the stupid id**** from HP did not help in ANY way to fix this error!
kind regards
mike
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI