This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue screen

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

There are a few possibilities here with this error:

Blue Screen- 'STOP 0x00000050 (PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA)'
http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/techni…ed_area-2171868

You may have a malicious driver:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894278&sd=RMVP

Possibly a malicious display driver:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Windows-XP-3282…00050-error.htm

My number 1 suspect is a malicious driver.

Firstly though, before going to any of the above links, go to Device Manager:
1. Go to Start / right click on "my computer" / click on "manage" / click on "Device Manager"
If there are any red, black or yellow warnings, you have a driver problem for sure.
If so, right click on the device and choose "properties" / click on driver / click on un-install driver / re-start
2. Go to MS updates and choose "custom". Download the correct driver which should show up there as "optional downloads".

Cheers,
Lee
Ok, that's might be good, but just because nothing shows up in the Device Manager, does not mean there is no malicious driver in your PC.

I don't know what security you have installed, but you should run a check with your anti-virus and also an anti-Malware program. If you don't have one
you can download "Malwarebytes" from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Download it to your desktop and when installing make sure any added extras like toolbars offered are un-ticked.

If a Virus is found, I would open a thread in the Melware section here. If a malicious driver is found after these checks, I would follow the instruction in the 2nd. link in my original post, or take the problem to the Melware section where the experts there can guide you.

The error you are receiving usually refers to a malicious driver (usually the display driver), but there can be other reasons for that error too and that is why I originally gave you those 3 links, so you could better define your problem.

Cheers,
Lee
If you can please post the spec's of your machine:

Please indicate Desktop or Laptop,
Brand and Model
How Much Memory you have.
What Current Operating system you have? And what is the current Version SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?

Any new "stuff" added? Software or hardware upgrades.
What was running on the machine when the problems appeared?

Because that error msg refers to a memory error problem

http://www.memtest.org/

If you have more then one stick of RAM, test it separatelly… to see if you get this error.

Jimbo1
Here is my Malware bytes log….I run it regularly and surely haven't seen this many items!!! Before I do a memory test, I will wait for you to look at it and advise. The memory diagnostic you describe is kinda confusing My system is a Dell Optiplex GX620 Running XP Home SP3 4 GB Ram on 2 sticks Pentium D Processor 2.80 GHz. Thanks for your help
Look in Add and Remove Programs (from Control Panel) and see if you have a program called (or something like) Perfect Optimizer installed. If so, uninstall it.

You had a lot of infected areas of your computer and I suspect MalwareBytes will not have removed it all. I think it would be a good idea for you to go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum area, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

It would still be a good idea to run the memory test though.
Thanks for running Malwarebytes dbjb7606,

Yes, you certainly have a Melware infected PC. Ztruckers advice to remove "Perfect Optimizer" is a good idea, but regardless of that and before doing anything else, I would head over to the Malware section now for the experts there to clean up your system:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27

If there are any further problems after your PC has been given a clean bill of health, you can return here.

Cheers,
Lee

Perfect Optimizer is gone!!! Started post in Malware feed….thanks for your help. I'll be back if needed


You beat me to it, we posted at the same time :lol:
I'm on my way to getting computer cleaned from Malware site. Enclosed is a jpeg of an error message I get when rebooting Windows. I have uninstalled AdAware long ago, and there is no Program File associated with AdAware. This has appeared for sometime now. How do I get rid of this on startup
Sounds like something is left over though.

Start msconfig and look under the Startup tab, see if there is anything there for AdAware. Also look under the Services tab, but check the Hide all Microsoft services box first.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter or click GO.
nothing resembling AdAaware under startup or services. I am also getting error message for google updater now on startup. Any suggestions? Thank You

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI