Hi, I'm having BSOD problems. It's happened about four or five times so far. After the second time I disabled automatic restarts so I could get the stop code, only trouble is I'm not getting the same code. The first code was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the second code was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I haven't installed any new hardware lately so not sure if my computer is on it's way out
I recently posted in the malware section of this forum and got a clean bill of health from them and they suggested I post my problem over here.
I haven't got a clue about computers so any help would be appreciated
Hi ,
Sorry to hear of the problems you have had with the dreaded BSOD.
You may have some damaged or missing system files so the following may help:
Run CHECKDISK, from START - RUN - (type)
CHKDSK /f /r
Enter (note the space after the "K" is essential)
CHKDSK will "warn" you that it cannot run, and then ask if you want to run CHKDSK when you Re-boot.
Answer Affirmative/yes/allow and then Re-Boot to allow CHKDSK to start the scan.
CHKDSK will probably take about 30 minutes to more than an hour for its complete scan (maybe longer for larger drive)
And maybe longer if CHKDSK identifies "bad-sectors" and has to move various files to good locations.
Run CHKDSK multiple times, with a reboot after each one until CHKDSK completes its entire scan without finding any errors.
Then Run System File Checker, from START - RUN - (type)
sfc /scannow
OK
(Please note the space after the "c" is essential)
Windows may ask you for your Windows Installation disc so be sure to have this handy so it can copy over any damaged or missing files. This scan should not take longer than about 20 minutes and you will need to watch whilst it is working if you want to see what its up to! (there is a progress bar but there is no output report to say what has been done)
Report back and tell us if it has improved the situation for you.
Regards
paws
Thanks for the quick response
I will try what you suggested at the weekend. Only trouble is I don't have the Windows disc as everything was loaded onto the computer when I got it - so what happens if it does ask me to insert the disc?
Hi.
There are ways round this but the easist by far is to borrow one, its quite OK to do this and almost certainly one of your chums will have a disc or know someone who has one.
Regards
paws
I did as suggested but no missing or corrupted files so not sure what's happening. I'll maybe have to wait until it does it again and see what error message I get next time. It may be a little while before it happens again. Thanks for the help
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI