This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How do I uninstall Nero Search/nero Scout

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

How do I completely remove Nero Search/Nero Scout without uninstalling Nero 7 Ultra Edition (7.02.9888)?

I’ve removed it from the Taskbar but that’s all I seem to be able to do. An icon for it is supposed to be in Windows Explorer, but I haven’t ever seen it.

Can I also remove whatever index/database it has created? I don’t like the idea of something cataloguing whatever it catalogues.

Thanks.
Thanks, but I found this earlier and other sites saying similar things, but it's all a bit Greek to me. I thought I would simply (with a helping hand) have to alter some registry keys or delete files here and there or scan for specific files to delete, etc. I haven't ever used the Run dialogue box or Command prompt without being guided through it. I'd be grateful if you could help me through this. Many thanks.
This is from the Nero web site


http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-tools-utilities.html

Use the Nero General CleanTool to delete unwanted Nero entries from your system.

Please proceed as follows:



Download the Nero General CleanTool, save this file to your desktop. Unzip the ZIP-file with WinZip or WinRAR and save the content to your hard drive. Double-click on the unzipped EXE-file to start the CleanTool. The window “Nero General CleanTool” will open. The Nero products installed will be displayed.

Check the boxes next to the Nero products you want to remove. Then click the “Clean” button. A status window will open. The execution of the tool may take several minutes.

Please wait until the progress bar has moved completely to the right. In the window “Nero General CleanTool” click the “Exit” button as soon as the erasing procedure is completed.

Reboot your computer. The Nero General CleanTool has removed all selected Nero entries from your computer.

hope that helps
Thanks, but the tool only lists Nero 7, in its entirety, to remove, not the constituent parts.

It also lists that I have [removed] installed while Revo Uninstaller lists 7.02.9888.

Could you guide me through the Run dialogue box method? Do I just past this in to it: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"?

Thanks.
The link I gave you has this on it:

If you want to get rid of Nero Scout after installing Nero 7:

Paste the following into the Run dialog box:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

So, press the WinKey (bottom left, between Ctrl and Alt) and the R key. This opens the Run dialog box.
Copy and past the above red text into the Run box, then press Enter or click OK.

That's it. See if it works for you.
Thanks, that seems to have worked. All I needed was someone to tell me what to paste, where. I'm not familiar with all of this. Is there any way of finding the database it may have created? From what I've read, it seems like it started indexing things as soon as Nero was installed. Thanks.
Crimea,

I'm glad that the Run script provided by Ztruker was successful for you.

Yes, there can be a few, many hundreds, or even thousands of files left behind by third-party software installation.

Well constructed software most often include their own uninstall utility which "knows" what was installed and where, therefore it is best able to remove those entries.
Unfortunately many, even popular software applications don't do as good a job of cleaning up after uninstall as we would like.

The best first step is usually to employ the software's own uninstall utility.
If remnants and debris are left behind, additional manual steps may be required.
Occasionally a validated uninstall utility can help.
Here at WTT we have often found Revo-Uninstaller and Ccleaner to be useful.

However, (and it is a bid "however")… automated cleaners cannot be expected to "know" where all of the specific files installed by another product may reside.
Thus, using an automated cleaner, may be a "best guess" approach.

It is important to have had experience using automated cleaners, and additionally to know what they actually do, and further to have choice-points in place for the owner/user to knowledgeably validate and authorize any removals.

Please be "Highly Cautious" particularly when a New Member offers a one line referral link to an unfamiliar utility whether it is free use or a paid product.
I have removed one such offering, and urge you to be skeptical if you went to that link before I removed it.

Post back with specific information about what you wish to accomplish at this point.

Best Regards
Hi Doug.

I did click the link but decided to give the program a wide berth, as I already use Revo and didn't want to risk it.

Although I rarely use Nero, I installed it from a disk (now lost, but supplied with a new DVD drive) and am unsure whether I could re-install it, so would like to keep it. I simply wasn't happy about all the indexing of everything in the background, that it was supposed to do, although I haven't ever noticed any kind of lag or detected any Nero process running in the background. I've started running procexp.exe. to find out what each program does and when.

I'm presume the Run script has simply disabled Search and not actually removed it, or any of its linked files.

I go around in circles through All Users, User, Local Settings, Application Data looking for anything that might be relevant.

Of course, none of this may be needed, if it hasn't been doing anything. I'm just not sure about it.

Thanks.
You can imagine that millions of machines presently have various unused remnants from old/uninstalled applications. In almost all instances, the remnants occupy only a minor volume of the hard drive, and are usually not worth chasing. Such concerns may fall into the category of: "If it ain't broke, don't be trying to fix it." Sure you can reinstall Nero if you acquire the installation media and use your own current license. I've used Nero in the past and was pleased. I simply haven't purchased any of the newer versions, but some features look good. Good for you… being skeptical of that download link. :thumbup:
What you did was unregister the DLL that supports Nero Search/Nero Scout. Nothing was deleted so everything is still there. I wouldn't worry about any index files created. The space they occupy is insignificant to modern hard drives.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI