This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No sound after installing vista

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently installed Vista on my PC and there is no sound, it tells me that there is no sound card but was fine on XP before. When I turn on the PC it says new device detected and to search for driver but when it searches says that no driver is available. Any help with this would be great, I dont really know what im doing. xx
You just need to get a driver for you're sound card, if it's an old one you may not find a vista driver, but if you tell us the make\model we can look for you, but generally speaking go to the makers site and find your card, then download the appropriate drive, when you install it do it via right clicking on it and select run as admin, hopefully it will be an easy job.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Have tried searching for a sound card unsucessfully. Is the make the same as the PC? If it is its a Phillips LS1000. If not how do I find the make? Sorry if I sound stupid, my knowledge it limited! x
We really need to identify the sound card, I appreciate the model you gave, but as you say it doesn't really tell us much, is this a part of the motherboard ? or is it a separate card in it's own right ?
If your not sure get either Everest (it even links to some driver pages) or System Information for Windows, the first one is easier reading, but it's a bit dated now (the free version) so may not be enough depending on the age of the system, but see if these help see what it is.
When I go into Device manager under sound, video and game controllers I have 3; FlyTV Platinum Gold High Definition Audio Device Unimoderm Full-Duplex Audio Device The second one (High Def audio device) Has one of those yellow exclamation signs next to it. When I view propeerties it says under device status 'This device cannot start (code 10). Then when I click check for solutions it does nothing.
I've got to nip out for 30 minutes, and I dare say my daughter will hijack the system so I may not get back on until later, but to help, run the software above, to see if it is a card or onboard sound look at the back where the speakers plug in, if they are plugged in by the USB, mouse, keyboard etc ports then it's onboard, if thats the case you need the motherboard make\model, should they plug in down in the expansion slots then it is a card, in which case that needs identifying, I'll be back as soon as I can get my daughter off lol.
Thats fine lol. The speakers plug in by the USB. Have ran the program, assume I am running 'system information' but not sure what im looking for on this. How do i find the make of the motherboard?
Well thats a miracle, I was able to use the crow bar this time lol, normally it takes a surgeon :rofl: Anyway you need to go down to the hardware section on the left and expand it, within that you should find a list of various hardware, within that you should see the motherboard with make and model, but if you see an entry under sound note that as well. As you can see it's a bit overkill, Everest makes much easier reading, but the principle is the same, you go down the list on the left to the subject your looking for, eg hardware, then expanding it go to the specific bit you need and highlight it, then the info is displayed on the right, but if your plugging in where the I\O plate is then thats going to be onboard sound, and for that you need the motherboard make\model, hope this helps.
Try looking for anything similar, they sometimes refer to them as main board, or system board, but more often than not it's at the top of the hardware list, or next one down after CPU, been a while since I looked, but hopefully this will help you find what you need, sorry got to fly, got to get ready, hope this helps.
Go to device manager and you will see your "Speakers" and you'll see another one that says "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" is this correct? * Disable that device (SPDIF) * Right click your "Speakers" icon in the system tray, click Properties, and enable them….then test them
Is this any use? Am going into systenm informaion and system summery, is this the correct place? OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name USER-B4C77BB819 System Manufacturer Freeline System Model Freeline Series System Type X86-based PC Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 07/12/2004 SMBIOS Version 2.3 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000" User Name USER-B4C77BB819\User Time Zone GMT Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 512 MB Total Physical Memory 511 MB Available Physical Memory 111 MB Total Virtual Memory 1.47 GB Available Virtual Memory 641 MB Page File Space 1.00 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Thanks Jay, but when I go to device manager there are no speakers just sound, video and game controllers. The high definition audio device is the one with the exclamation mark and when i try to fix it it wont do it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI