Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what I did. I know, I know, people like me are dangerous!!
This is a Gateway laptop and after reformatting the hard drive and using the Gateway Operating System CD to reintall, many of my hardware devices are not recognized. When I go to My Computer > Manager > Device Manager, the following have the dreaded yellow question mark next to them:
Ethernet controller
Mass Storage Controller
Multi Media Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller
I am not able use plug n' play / install the drivers because I can not connect to the internet. I'm assuming I can't connect because the driver is not installed for the appropriate hardware.
This is what I get for trying to fix things! Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
OK good news is this is a simple thing to sort, it is standard to have to reinstall the drivers for multiple hardware when doing a fresh install, so all you have to do is go to the makers site, and simply download the drivers for your PC, the only thing to be careful of is using the right driver(s), sometimes store bought systems use multiple hardware depending on price during the build, so they may have more than 1 make of LAN driver etc, also note the date on the drivers, make sure you get the newest ones, some sites carry the older ones as well, so you only need the 1 latest driver for each item, if your in doubt what to choose post the model number back and we can help you through this.
Main point to note with this is the install order, a little controversial between some people who switch a few things around, but I was told chipset 1st, then video followed by sound, after that makes no difference, but those 3 need top be done before the others, hope that helps.
8210GUY, thank you for the response!!
II found most of the drivers on the Gateway website but I'm having trouble locating the driver for
'Ethernet Controller'
Any ides on where to find the driver?
OK assuming the link you originally posted is for your system (MX6440), I suspect you have the Broadcom LAN, possibly the easiest way to confirm this is to load the device manager and expand that section, it will usually say what it is, if it says Broadcom then you have your answer, my guess is your running xp due to your saying about a disk, so get the newest (they list 2), which is the BCM40100.exe - Broadcom Wireless Driver Version 4.100.15.5, although they list that as a wireless adaptor, if you have already installed the wireless driver then they only list 1 driver so by default is probably the one you need, it's the last one in that section named D00453-001-002.exe - Network Driver version: 8.26.2.3. http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers…;uid=259935387; This is the direct page for that non wireless driver assuming this is the missing one.
Should you still need help identifying the component then I can guide you to some software that will tell you, but I'm fairly confident that the above link is the driver you need as you didn't mention it was wireless, hope this helps.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI