Hi,
I'm new here, but not a complete novice. I searched for a similar problem, but the thread went off in another direction.
My problem is both computers worked before I had to install a new router. Now the 1 nearest the modem and router works fine, but the 1 in the other room(son's) does not connect.
I did all the self help topic suggestions to no avail.
Device Manager says the ethernet card is functioning properly, but I have the dreaded yellow triangle ! symbol for " Other Device " and sub topic " PCI Simple Communications Controller ".
Is this my problem and if so where and how do I get the driver. The driver card I recieved with the computer does not seem to have this driver.
Enlighten me please.
There may be several reasons for this.. can u tell us how you have your network hooked up please..? Like.. for example..
(internet)—>Modem—>router—2 comps
Yes, that is how I have it setup. I didn't want to get into the whole network thing so I just have each puter on it's own line from the router.
Also as I was looking around it occurred to me, " do I really need the dialup modem working anyway since I am on broadband?" I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it, maybe I'm wrong.
No, I have Comcast Broadband.
A funny thing happened on my travails back and forth between rooms.
Now my son's puter works after I tried the " Repair LAN Connection " for the 10th time and it actually did something this time and I can now get online.
Unfortunately my puter in my room does not access the net. I cannot figure out what is going on here.
I tried the Repair LAN Connection there also, but it tells me to contact my admin or ISP.
This is definitely getting frustrating as now I am on my son's puter and all my shortcuts are on mine.
Ok you need to access your modems settings and make sure its sharring the ip addy. Also check your routers settings.. if u can tell us what type of router you have we can get you set up
Okay, I have a LinkSys Network Everywhere Model # NH1005-WM
Sorry about the lag time but I'm going back and forth between rooms and trying to get the laundry done in the basement. Lucky me
lol.. its ok.. i am watching Texas@Ohio so lag on my part as well..
If your connection is DHCP (dynamic ip addy which most are)
Go to http://192.168.1.1 (or click on that)
and under the DHCP tab
starting addy should appear as 192.168.1 then add 101 to the box
were it says number of users… make sure you have it set for 2 (default is 50) Then under it, in the DNS:1, make it 192 168 1 1 then under it (for dns2:) 4 2 2 1 then again under that (dns3) 4 2 2 0 Then under that in the WINS should be all 0's
hit apply then post back here and will go to step 2
You lost me there on 2 accounts. I stopped to watch the game also.
You lost me with that URL because all I get is page not found.
Do I have to go into Advanced TCP/IP Settings?
When I go there all I see is DCHP enabled, but nowhere to enter the settings you gave me.
well not your fault there.. geeesh.. I am having a problem finding your device at Linksys.. do you have a router? could you find your product here at Linksys for me and the post a link to it please
lol.. sorry about that.. I magine that prolly did throw you for a loop there. I am looking as well but cant find your model number. With a router you have an html setup page which requires a URL to access. So if you could and dont mind, click on that link for linksys there and see if you can find it.
Found it.. its a hub.
Ok..I think your going to have to set up a gateway, which is not that big of deal. But before we do that.. make sure that (under tcp/ip) that both comps are set to renew the ip automatically. If there not then check that box on each computer and lets see what that does.
Okay, LMAO
Yeah, I was thinking that myself. I finally just disconnected everything and have my main computer direct to the modem. Much more comfotable here in my room and chair, LOL
Okay give me a few minutes here while the second half kicks off.