This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

ie will not open / run

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently performed a repair installation of windows xp_sp2. I had previously installled ie8. Following the repair installation, ie stopped working, although I was connected to the web (and Firefox works). I discovered the need to uninstall ie7 and ie8 prior to xp repair install, and performed the Microsoft recommended procedure in Recovery Console: Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command: For Windows Internet Explorer 8 CD ie8\spuninst batch Spuninst.txt For Windows Internet Explorer 7 CD ie7\spuninst batch Spuninst.txt After reboot, the ie7 directory was completely gone, but the ie8 directory still existed. Internet explorer still would not open. I performed another Repair installation, and still no IE. I then tried to reinstall IE6_sp1 (the only IE6 installer I could find), but the install was refused because a later version of IE was installed, it replied. First, how can I find out what version of IE my computer thinks is installed. Cannot open IE to check version on Help menu. Won't open. Second, how to I begin to restore functionality to Internet Explorer, and update it to ie7 ? Should I install updates following the repair install before I get IE to work? (I can probably use Firefox, or AutoUpdates to obtain updates). Thanks, Bill

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI