This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I SOOO Screwed UP! Trying to fix IE 7.0 issue - turned my laptop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Please, I hope someone can help….I have been working with another wonderful tech in the Spyware forum. He walked me through the whole process of cleaning my system of all the malware, etc. THANK YOU!!! However, the original problem that I was trying to fix - IE 7.0 was acting up was still not resolved. In fact, in the process of trying to "fix" things myself, I had uninstalled IE (via spuninst), attempted to Repair my XP Installation, and then re-install IE. Well fast forward to today - after the system was clean, I tried again to launch IE, after what I though must be a clean install. I could launch the program, but it would crash. Event Viewer showed a problem with NTDLL.DLL….so guess what I did??? Idiot, booted into Recovery Console…renamed NTDLL.DLL to NTDLL.old and then rebooted! Ah ya, forgot to put in a new version of the dll. So now, I can't re-install XP, if I select R for Repair, receive the error that's there's no hard drive. I have reseated the hard drive. I cannot get it to see the hard drive at all. Any suggestions??? Thankfully, it is still under warranty - but so much data will be lost. ARGH!
Because this is a laptop you will need a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure.
Click here for some examples.
After you get the enclosure, you can pull the data off of your disc and save it to your choice of CD/DVD, flash drive, ETc…
If you have the manufacture do this they will charge you a lot!
Click here to see how to remove the hard drive from your laptop.
Do not tell the manufacture that you did this as it will void the warrenty.
Okay well it helps if you use the right OEM XP Install disk when trying to find a hard drive :). I have the system back. I can log in…I have run all the virus scanners, registry cleaners, etc. However, I still cannot get IE to run. I am still seeing the NTDLL.DLL error in the Event Viewer when I try to launch it. How do you fix IE? I will even go back to 6.0 just to have a functioning browser. For what it's worth, I also have Firefox installed and that will not run either. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 7.0 soo many times. What is the trick? How do I repair the ntdll.dll file? Thanks so much, Mary
Hi :)

You can download the NTDLL.DLL file

Here

Unzip it to the following locations (one file each)

C:\Windows\system32

and

C:\Servicepackfiles\i386

Answer yes to overwrite existing files if it prompts you.
Replace C with your system drive-letter if using another than C.

Regards Abydos
Excellent I will try that - I tried to replace it with the file from another system but it locked the system up. I can't do this in normal mode correct? File is locked and access denied. I have to do it in recovery console? Just want to make sure. I am so over this troubleshooting, just want my laptop to work!!! :) Thanks for your help - everyone.
Hi lilwagsmt68,

No matter what you do in your attempt to resolve this problem, it will be important for you to go about your tasks in an organized and systematic manner.
Keep notes, know what you've already tried, and read the FULL instructions and background information before launching your repair activities.

Here's a good set of instructions and background information references to follow:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chie.htm

Best Regards

I have to do it in recovery console?


If it won't overwrite, then you can try in safe-mode.

NTDLL.DLL is a driver core-file belonging to the service packs. So a alternate method
would be to uninstall your service packs and re-install anew from the windows update.

Regards Abydos
You guys just soooo rock!!! If I were next to you, I would hug you. It appears all is well…IE loads no issues and no errors. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI