Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8 IE7 Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

I used IE8 and didn't liked it so i uninstalled and got IE7 but on the day which i had downgraded to IE7, I made a system restore.After the system restore, it became IE8 but corrupted.I tried uninstalling IE8 beta 2 at the add or remove programs after the restore but half way through the uninstallation, Error pops up and says couldn't find IE8.exe something like that.Even tried installing IE8 and my computer just shuts down after the installation was not successful.
http://img116.images...mage=bugjt1.png
Look something like this.Hope that someone will help me with this.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

Posted Image karhn,

Glad you have joined this great forum.

Can you do a Systems Restore back to before you installed IE 8.0? You should have several dates to choose from in Systems Restore.

Go to

• My computer
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • Highlight your C:\Drive
  • Settings
  • Please tell us how much diskspace is being used (mine is showing 1095MB 1%)
  • If yours is showing more, then you will have many restore dates to choose from
Your image showed me nothing beneficial.....you may want to resend it.

Post back with answers to the above.....thanks

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 30 December 2008 - 02:09 AM.

#3 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Posted Image karhn,

Glad you have joined this great forum.

Can you do a Systems Restore back to before you installed IE 8.0? You should have several dates to choose from in Systems Restore.

Go to

• My computer
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • Highlight your C:\Drive
  • Settings
  • Please tell us how much diskspace is being used (mine is showing 1095MB 1%)
  • If yours is showing more, then you will have many restore dates to choose from
Your image showed me nothing beneficial.....you may want to resend it.

Post back with answers to the above.....thanks

kind regards,

rear for doing a system restore before i installed IE8, it's quite long ago and will it affect the system?
Posted Image
Here is the picture to show the date.

If you're asking for the diskspace in system restore it would be (7% 5303mb) sorry i didn't quite get you because under the system restore tab there isn't any C:\drive to high light.

thankful,

Edited by karhn, 30 December 2008 - 02:19 AM.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

Your intitial post gave me the idea you only recently installed IE 8.0. So, yes if you restored your system to a much earlier date, then it would affect all your data after the date you choose to restore to.

If you followed my step by step in my last post what letter is your main Hard Drive if it is not C:\?

If you're asking for the diskspace in system restore it would be (7% 5303mb)

How do you know it is the figure in your quote above please?

I would follow this link and post a HJT log in the correct forum. Once you do that, we are not permitted to assist you until you have a clear post from the Malware accredited fighter that picks up your log to help you.

Or you can wait and another volunteer may come by with their observation.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

kind regards,

#5 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:03 AM

You mean that i post a HJT log at this link:http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_Logs_Infections_Removal_f27.html? Where can i get the programme to have HJT log?

#6 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Good morning karch, I mean to post a HJT log you follow my last post which includes the link to help you post a HJT log to the correct forum. The link tells you in detail how to prepare your system firstly, then to post your log providing you follow the link from the beginning to the end. Good luck, with kind regards,

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

This doesn't sound like a malware issue, though it never hurts to make sure.

Using System Restore to go back to a date before you installed IE8 will not affect your personal data, but it will affect any programs you've installed since then. If there are none or none you care about then SR to an earlier date may be the easiest way to fix this.

Something else you can try is to reinstall IE7, if XP will let you. I have no idea what it will do or say but it's worth a try. I'm still using IE6 and intend to stay with it as long as possible since I dislike all the junk IE7 (and probably IE8) bring along. I only use IE when absolutely necessary. My default browser is SeaMonkey, the follow on to the Mozilla Suite.

You could install FireFox and use it as your primary browser but you would still need to fix IE for the occasional times you have to use it.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to manually remove IE8 or IE7

Last resort would be to do a Repair Install using your Windows XP install CD (if you have one). This will replace all the system files but leave your personal data alone. But ... Mr. Murphy is an opportunist so if you have not backed up your data, he will pick the time guaranteed to cause you the most harm or aggravation to strike, so now would be a good time to get your data backed up.

If you do this, you'd be back at IE6. If you decide this is necessary, please post back for some suggestions on how to do this, in addition to the link I provided. You can have problems if your system is at a Service Pack level higher than your install CD but there is a way around that.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

There is no disk when i got the computer.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

That should be illegal. I know Tallin has said several times that in Australia, the computer manufacturer must provide a CD/DVD of the OS for re-installation purposes. Sure wish this country had a law like that.

You're best bet then is to try installing IE7 again if it will do so. If not you can try IE8. Don't forget about installing a different browser like FireFox, Opera or SeaMonkey.

You could also try reinstalling IE6, though again, I don't know it will work or not. See Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP. This will use files already on your computer to install IE6. If that works, then you should be able to install IE7 again if you really, really wanted to.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#10 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Good Morning Karhn,

Ztruker wrote: Using System Restore to go back to a date before you installed IE8 will not affect your personal data, but it will affect any programs you've installed since then. If there are none or none you care about then SR to an earlier date may be the easiest way to fix this.

I would take Ztruker's advice to simplify your problem if it was me.

kind regards,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

The problem is solved so i want to thank you

#12 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:58 AM

now i can't remove IE8 Doesnt have the remove button at add remove program

#13 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hi Karhn,

If a built in uninstaller fails then Revo will still remove a program. I won't uninstall anything without using Revo. Even tiny programs uninstallers will leave a huge amount of junk in the registry and/or files and folders. Not with Revo.

If the programs uninstaller fails just keep on going through the steps and it will still be removed.

Download Revo Uninstaller
  • Go in to Revo, right click what you want to uninstall and choose Uninstall.
  • Next choose Advanced Mode
  • This will launch the programs built in uninstaller and go through the normal uninstall process.
  • Once complete: In Revo Uninstaller click Next and Revo will scan the registry for leftovers.
    • This scan can take several seconds.
  • Once the results are shown look at each one to ensure they are all related to the program that was uninstalled.
  • Choose Select All then click Delete
  • Click Next and Revo will scan for any files or folders that were not removed.
  • If any files/folders are found choose Select all > Delete
Try Revo and post back how you go.

Best regards,

#14 karhn

karhn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

Hi Karhn,

If a built in uninstaller fails then Revo will still remove a program. I won't uninstall anything without using Revo. Even tiny programs uninstallers will leave a huge amount of junk in the registry and/or files and folders. Not with Revo.

If the programs uninstaller fails just keep on going through the steps and it will still be removed.

Download Revo Uninstaller

• Go in to Revo, right click what you want to uninstall and choose Uninstall.
  • Next choose Advanced Mode
  • This will launch the programs built in uninstaller and go through the normal uninstall process.
  • Once complete: In Revo Uninstaller click Next and Revo will scan the registry for leftovers.
    • This scan can take several seconds.
  • Once the results are shown look at each one to ensure they are all related to the program that was uninstalled.
  • Choose Select All then click Delete
  • Click Next and Revo will scan for any files or folders that were not removed.
  • If any files/folders are found choose Select all > Delete
Try Revo and post back how you go.

Best regards,

It says "Running the application's uninstaller failed! Possible invalid uninstall command."

#15 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hi karhn,

Revo has never let me down, so I am concerned about the error message you received.

Try Windows Install Cleanup Utility but be careful what you highlight to uninstall. Read the information supplied before executing the utility.

Please, if you already have not done so backup your registry with Erunt backup registry tool.
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. (It is the second one on the link given above)

What browser are you currently using?

kind regards,