Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91737 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Effective Repair Of Internet Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oeksen37

oeksen37

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:55 AM

After a likely browser-hijack - a problem which is by now completely solved (the computer is fully clean!) I cannot any longer activate my Windows XP Home, SP2-Internet Explorer browser from the short-cut placed on the Desktop. Neither can the respective "exe-file" in the File Manager open the IE. However, which seems very strange, I can enter the IE when activating f.inst. any link to a webpage, sent to me by say. an e-mail. In all instances the IE browser-interface opens up only in a fraction of a second and the closes down again. I have numerous times been trying to uninstall IE amongst the Win's components, reboot, and reinstall IE at the same place, but the problem persists. Moreover, the problem seems difficult to handle because IE is now part of also the new Win SP2, thus when I am trying to redownload the IE SP1, I am logically given to understand that the program is already on my computer. The same is the result when I try to redownload the Win SP2. Again the initial Windows-scanning says that I already h a v e the SP2 on my computer and I am not given a chance to redownload it. Furthermore I have also tried to run a "sfc /scannow", but with the same negative result! Likewise I have tried the search-function to find the "ie.inf file" in the Windows\inf folder in order to have it reinstalled the replacement of the file has no effect whatsoever... Moreover I have already read the, I dare say, time-consuming "bunch" of advices/articles from the respective MS-page, however, they don't seem to refer to exactely my problem (being the non-functioning IE-Icon on the desktop!) - and, I must admit that I would very much like to avoid a radical reinstallation of my otherwise well functioning Windows XP , because you and I, and most others, know what happens if you do that - you may possibly solve your problem in question but will most likely get quite a few others/new and lose quite some settings etc.... Indeed I would be most grateful for any advice which could effectively solve the problem of IE. Thanks, Oeksen37+

Advertisements

Register to Remove