This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Local Area Connection

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I started up my PC and it says that there is no internet connection. This isn't the first time it happened, usually I just go to Network Connections then disable and enable Local Area Connection. Now the same thing happened and I disabled Local Area Connection but now when I try to enable it I get "Connection failed" message. I know if I just restarted my PC it will be fine (done it before) but now I've decided to see if there is a solution so that it stops saying that I'm not connected when I am. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my router because I have 2 PCs connected to it and I'm on the 2nd one as I type this right now. If anyone has any resolutions/suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
We'll need more information to help you badpapa

Tells us more about the problem machine and its connecting equipment
Laptop/Desktop
Wireless/ethernet cable connected
Operating system Win2k/WinXP/Vista/Win7
type of Network Adapter - integrated on MoBo,/PCI card/USB connected
____________

Tell us about the surrounding environment

If this occurs when you move the machine/laptop or when objects are moved in the environment/
Wireless telephones and cell phone usage near your machine can interfere

Tell us any exact and full Error Messages you may receive at time of failure
Check your device manager for yellow or red warning related to Network Adapter (remove and reinstall or update NIC driver)
Check Event Viewer for Error Messages occuring at time of failure
Start - Run - eventvwr.msc
Expand any related Errors, Post specific related error message
(when you find a related error message double-click to open/expand it - then click the icon below the up/down arrows to copy the message - past the message here in your next reply)
go to Control Panel - Network connections - select your connection - select Repair this Connection
____________________

Tell us about specific activities you are using your machine for at time when Network Problem occurs

A little more information and we may be able to help.

Best Regards
I am on a desktop using Windows XP with ethernet connection. It seems to happen when I take my computer out of hibernation or sleep (some times not all the time). Like I mentioned before I use to be able to fix it by just disable the local area connection and reenable it but now it takes numerous attempts to just disable it. So then I would have to restart my computer for the connection to be fine. This problem just happened recently but then my computer went into sleep mode before I could do anything and give you an exact representation of what happens. So when it woke up the connection was fine. I don't know why it happens so hopefully you could help me out. I'll try and give as much info on it as you need but this problem occurs randomly so no sure exactly when it will happen again for sure.
You "may" benefit from doing a power cycling of your DSL modem and router. <– presuming you have either/both Turn off your computer (completely shut-down, not just hibernate or sleep… all the way off) Turn off or disconnect power to your routher Turn off or disconnect power to your DSL Modem Leave everything turned off for 10-30 minutes. ___________________ Turn on or reconnect power to your DSL Modem - allow 5 minutes for all lights to come up and stabilize before taking the next step Turn on or reconnect poser to your Router - allow 5 minutes for all lights to come up and stabilize before taking the next step Turn on your computer, allowing it to boot normally and connect to the internet normally Run it a while this way, observing to see if this reduces your errors/internet connection failures ___________________ If the above didn't help over a period of a couple of days…. perform the following: With all equipment turned on and stabile… DSL modem, router, and computer Press - Start - (type)cmd - press - enter At the blinking cursor: (type)ipconfig /release - press - Enter allow it to perform until you are back at a blinking cursor (you will not have internet connectivity at this time because of the /release next (type)ipconfig /restore - press - enter allow it to perform until you are back at a blinking cursor (you should now have internet connectivity at this time because of the /restore At the blinking cursor (type) EXIT - press - Enter to exit the command prompt panel _______________________ if the above didn't help over a period of a couple of days….. perform the following: Press - Start - (type)cmd - press - enter At the blinking cursor: (type)ipconfig /flushDNS - enter At the blinking cursor (type) EXIT - press - Enter to exit the command prompt panel ___________________________ Post back with your progress/results Best Regards
An additional thought. Many desktop systems don't hibernate/sleep well. Either the hardware or the device driver does not handle coming out of hibernation correctly, especially network connections, and you end up losing the connection. I would recommend not using hibernate or sleep at all, but instead using the Power settings of Desktop Properties / Screen Saver to control your display and hard drive power use.
Rich, I'm glad to read you making that point, and I agree. In my opinion, there is very little merit in having "hibernate" as a feature on a Desktop. There's no battery power source to be protecting, like on a laptop, and the extra indexing required by hibernate tends to consume more system resources than its worth. I almost always disable indexing and hibernation on machines that cross my bench. Even on laptops, hibernate is more of a consumer than a useful feature in my experience. People tend to know when they need to get their laptop plugged into A/C. But I don't have much experience using laptops in truly mobile environment, where hibernate may be useful.
Thanks for the reply guys. I understand what you mean as for as the whole hibernation goes. The preference for me behind it is that I like to have it sleep when I step for a short amount of time (something like an hr or 2) and then I hibernate it when I will be away for a longer period but want to jump right back on and continue where I left off (as in going to bed, continue what I did when I wake up). Then I shut it down when I will be away for a large portion of the day or when it could use a fresh start up. No problems on this matter so far but from what you Doug and Ztruker mentioned I can refrain from the hibernation. Would sleep be an issue as well?
I don't have a laptop with the "sleep" feature on my bench here at this time to research it with you. I'd use Desktop setting Properties - Screen Saver - Power Managemetn Then I'd set Monitor to turn off ater xx number of minutes and Hard Drive to turn off after xx number of minutes. As far as requiring password login when you return, that's up to you. I use that feature, since if I've walked away, I'd prefer to not allow someone else to sit down and start using the machine. Thanks for contributing this interesting question and discussion. Best Regards
As Doug and Rich pointed out, in my past experiance of working on pc's in the last 2 years hibernation and sleep mode imo is not the way to go. Many times most hardware does not resond to well when trying to wake it up or most time you end up booting the machine or it locks up or sometime the hardware does not respond, Acers and Dells are the ones I seen to have hissy fists. The thing I do is just using the screen saver, thats the better way. If you using a labtop, power modes are the reason most use hibernation or sleep mode to try and save battery power, but its best if you use the ac adapter over the battery. If you not near an outlet, then you have no choise but to use the battery, but if you only going to be away a few minuets from the labtop then screensavers in windows will be the better way to go, if your going to be away for a while then just shut down the pc or plug it into the ac adapter. Reason they are saying this I have seen wireless and yes even networks quit working because of sleep modes, but once you rebooted all works fine. Now this is not all the times but I have seen this a lot.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI