Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

no internet connection just local

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aaallvin

aaallvin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

Sorry to bother you all on this topic but ... until recently I had no problem connecting to the internet. I shut my Desktop down one evening and when I tried to connect to internet I was told I only had local or no activity. I found my IP address and that seems ok again except I still can't connect to internet. I'm not very PC litterate but try my best. Now I get an error message my default gateway is incorrect. I'm at my wits end because my two laptops can still connect with no problem. all are running off the same router a Belkin wireless G plus MIMO router with a cable highspeed connection. If possible any input to this would be greatly appreciated. I've tried resetting ip address and anything else I could find but no go with my desktop. oh btw the desktop is running XP 3 if this makes any difference. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

Hi aaallvin, and welcome to the WTT forums, sorry to hear of the problem with your desktop computer not connecting to the Internet.
The fact that your laptops connect, seems to indicate that your router set up is OK, but do make sure that the Cat 5 patch cable connected between your router and the back of your desktop computer is undamaged and fully "home " in the sockets, unplug them and plug them back in a few times and make sure they "click" into position.

I will provide quite a lot of information for you, on how to proceed, so it may be best to consider printing out this list before you start and work through each item methodically checking (ticking) them off as you go, and noting any outputs/screen messages/error codes or contents of dialog boxes that you see. Screen dumps are also helpful so take them when appropriate.
There is a chance that using a System Restore Point to "set back in time" your computer to a time before the problem started, may save the day for you... Its easy to do, here's how:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

If this should not work for you then this is what you need to do:

1 In "Device Manager" (Start>Right click My Computer>Click Properties>Click Hardware>Click Device Manager) expand the entry for "Network Adapters" (click on the +sign to the left) and copy out the details for any adapters shown..and post back here with the details.
2 Do any of the adapters have a yellow or red marker against them ?
3 If so copy out and post back here everything on each line (where there is a yellow or red mark)
4 Please note all these tasks should be completed on your desktop computer (the troublesome one)
5 Here is a list of further steps to take......
If your network icon appears on the Windows taskbar, then you can repair it by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Repair.

6 If you have no task bar icon do this:

•Click on the Start button.
•Click on the Settings menu option.
•Click on the Control Panel option.
•When the Control Panel opens, double-click on the Network Connections icon. If your Control Panel is set to Category View, then double-click on Network and Internet Connections and then click on Network Connections at the bottom.
•You will now see a list of available network connections. Locate the connection for your Lan adapter and right-click on it.
•click on the Repair menu option.

7 If that doesn't work - try this:
•Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
•Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection for cable and DSL or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and choose Properties.
•Click the Networking tab
•Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
•Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.
•Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
•Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.
•If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.

8 In Internet Explorer.
•Check internet options settings.
•Tools > Internet Options > Connections
•LAN settings
•Choose "automatically detect settings"
•uncheck/untick/clear both proxy settings boxes

9 In FireFox
•Click on Advanced -> Network -> Setttings…
•the No Proxy option should be selected.

10 If still no joy then please do this:
Click on Start.
click on Run
type in the white box
cmd
press the enter key
at the DOS prompt
type in
ipconfig /release
press enter key
Note the space between the "g" and the "/" it needs to be there:
make a note of the output and post it in your reply

11 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
ipconfig /flushdns
press Enter
note the spacing
note down the output and post it back in your reply

12 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
ipconfig /renew
press the Enter key
Note the spacing etc...
note down the output and post it back in your reply

13 next and still at the DOS prompt type in:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
press the Enter key
note the spacing etc
note down the output and post back etc

14 Next and still at the DOS prompt type in
netsh int ip reset catalog
press the Enter key
note the spacing etc...
note down the output and post back etc

15 If you want to exit from the Dos prompt then just type in
exit
and press the Enter Key

16 Next power cycle your modem and router, Here's how:

A1. Shut down your computer system (full shut off, not a sleep hibernate/standby)
A2. Unplug the power cable from your modem
A3. Unplug your power cable from your router
A4. Keep them unplugged for 5 minutes, (by the clock) this will clear out the junk and let them reset themselves.
A5. Plug the power cable for the modem back in and make sure all the lights come on
A6. Plug the power to your router back in and wait until all the lights come on. (make sure you do A5 and A6 in the correct order!)
A7 Restart your computer, wait 5 minutes (by the clock, not a second sooner) and then try your Internet connection for a short test with your software firewall and your anti virus turned off (don't forget to turn it on when you have done. and don't do anything at all on the Internet apart from a short test to:
www.bbc.co.uk
and certainly don't do anything like downloading emails with your AV off!)
If your Internet is back then rejoice!

17 If still no joy then do the following please
Click on Start
Click on run
type in the white box
cmd
press Enter key
at the DOS prompt type in

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping bbc.co.uk >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"
Note please use "copy and paste" (Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v) for these commands, as this will automatically make sure you get the spaces correct!
Please copy and paste the output into your reply and let us know the following:

18 Have you run the WinSockFix tool, yet?
19 Have you run Dial a fix yet?
20 When posting back, please advise: make and model of your computer and make and model of your router and modem
The outputs that you noted down from the previous steps.

Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 02 January 2011 - 04:30 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 aaallvin

aaallvin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Wow!!! Thank you Paws I really appreciate your time and help. There is some steps listed I already tried but I will definitely go through this whole list and get back to you, and thank you for breaking it down for me so I could understand a bit more. Yours truly aaallvin. P.S. thank you for the warm welcome.

#4 aaallvin

aaallvin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hi Paws Just a quick message saying THANK YOU I've tried for 3 weeks now trying to get this Desktop working. Oh and BTW this is proof it is working because I'm writing you on my desktop. I wish I'd have found this site back then maybe my hair would be a few shades darker than it is now. Thank you for all your help and your time was much appreciated. All the best aaallvin

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi Paws

Just a quick message saying THANK YOU I've tried for 3 weeks now trying to get this Desktop working. Oh and BTW this is proof it is working because I'm writing you on my desktop. I wish I'd have found this site back then maybe my hair would be a few shades darker than it is now. Thank you for all your help and your time was much appreciated.

All the best aaallvin

Hi aaallvin
That is so good to hear...well done!
:thumbup:
Glad to see that everything is working OK now
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate