This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello There, I’ve worked with computers since the 80 column punch card and have gone through each phase of computer development until now (anyone remember RPG?). I find technology moving faster than I can keep up with and feel I’m running a never ending race. I was lost when MS 3.0 came out; I thought it was for wimps who didn’t want to learn DOS. It wasn’t until I discovered the DOS shell lurking in the background that I came to realize my friend had gotten old and if I was going to keep up, I had to accept the Icon as the new kid on the block and not going away. I still use DOS, I’m thankful MS brought it out of hiding. The malicious insanity attacking computers today makes me crazy. :angry: So here I am a week away from 61 wanting to learn a new fight. I spend a lot of time helping friends and family with computer issues. I 'd like at some point to be able to help here… Just checking around it looks like I have a long way to go. See ya'
I hated going to the keypunch lab at college, fumbling away with the keypunch machines and building my "deck". Then racing across campus to submit my deck to the "reader" in hopes that there were no single-card errors and the Fortran procedure would run, and further that there were no errors in my data deck. If I was really lucky, I might get two successful runs in one day! Oh happy day. Those were the days before even STAT PACK, which created its own set of problems and was only available via teletype to the mainframe at Cal State Long Beach. (I was at Chico where we had our own Univac but not STAT PACK) Oh how things have changed. Welcome to What The Tech Forums. Hope your enjoy reading and learning along with the rest of us. Best Regards