This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Greetings

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Greetings All, Had one of my former employees pass along this site, He said it was one of his top favorites when it came to getting things figured out when he was over his head or just too busy to debug himself. I've always relied on him to assist me with problems that I've run into previously, but alas, as he is a former employee, I really didn't want to constantly burden him as I do want to keep him as a friend! I've always been the computer guru for my family and in-laws since the early 1990's. Really got into computers before Windows came onto the scene and was pretty proficient with MSDos and writing batch files and autoexec's. etc. Used to always build my own computers until the past couple of years when I found that I just didn't have the time anymore (young kids and all) to spend a whole weekend assembling, formatting, installing, debugging a new computer. With that being said, I now feel like I'm no longer as informed with computers and their new internal bus schemes, etc. Plus, since a few of the folks that used to rely on me for their computer problems went over to Apple (they apparently got some viscous infections that made them bail on PC's), I've been relieved of support for them and it is now pretty much just my household. I always wonder sometimes if it isn't/wasn't the apple folks behind most of the pestilence-related PC issues to get folks to change over. Their marketing is world class (I actually hate them for it) and it just mesmerizes my kids and based on their successes, a lot of other kids and people as well. I fight a battle constantly with my kids about buying Ipods or whatnot. I try to get them to go with similar products that are half the price and basically just as functional. I'm sure that Steve Jobs would hate me. :P Anyway, I think I've babbled enough for everyone here. I still maintain 5 computers in my household and as I get a new one, I reconfigure my old one for my wife and pass it down. The trickle-down theory applies here, so her computer gets reconfigured for one of the kids. While spending all weekend shuffling PC's, I ran into a couple of issues that I was hoping to get some help on. One is related to not being able to change the share name of a PC that I've reconfigured (I can highlight it, but can't get anything to change) and my other issue is having the CD/DVD drives on 2 Dell machines (Dimension and VOSTRO) just quit working after I did all my uninstalling/reconfiguring/deleting and installing new applications (like, ugh, I know… ITunes)…. I had to do a system restore on both machines to get the drives back, but of course it put a lot of programs back on that I had uninstalled and then defrag'd. Now when I try to uninstall them, they won't go away. I'm sure that this specific forum isn't the place for these and I'll post them in their appropriate forums to see if I can't get some help in resolving… Thanks all for making it this far in my post… I look forward spending more time on your site to get myself re-educated again. Regards, Bob
Hello Shelby68GT500 :welcome:

You seem very busy but hopefu;;y you'll have time to have a good look around the forum to pick up some tips.

You should start a topic here to sort out your re-installation problem.

Enjoy

Satchfan
Thanks Satchfan! I've already posted in the Networking and Hardware sections with more detailed explanations…. Funny, I had just thought of another issue that I'll take up in the Malware section about StopZilla… Bob