Hello
I used to use O.E. as my default email program so if I clicked a hyperlink it would open for me to reply. I removed it as M.S. is not supporting it now.
I tried Windows Live Mail and all kinds of problems occurred without touching it. I have to establish an account in WLM and when I do it wants to link with my Hotmail account..
The contacts were doubled with my Live Hotmail account for one. I finally corrected my Live Hotmail account and removed WLM.
I understand I cannot put,"Windows Live Hotmail " in the email box under the advanced tab in initernet options - true??
I have msie 8 by the way.
I have a Comcast mail account which is fine.
I use the Live Hotmail account as a secondary one which is fine.
What can I do to be able to "put a program in the email box" in the programs tab in internet options just so I can reply to a hypoerlink when I come upon one just like O.E. used to do?
Thank you
Just because MS is not support it is not a reason to remove it. If it works and does what you need it to do, why remove it?
MS is not supporting Windows 98, ME or 2000 either but there are many thousands of users who continue with those Operating Systems without any problems.
In the other thread where you brought this up, I mentioned SeaMonkey Suite, but for just E-mail, you should also look at Mozilla Thunderbird. It works fine as the default E-mail program. SeaMonkey E-mail is better in my opinion but TB isn't bad.
Hi GP
Most of my customers are happy with Outlook Express and don't particularly want to change as they have gotten used to it and feel confident that they know their around in it.
If this applies to you…its OK to stick with it,………it should see you right for the next 4or 5 years anyway!
Regards
paws
Well, as my previous post explains, the reason I removed it was that I read M.S. was not supporting it any longer. I assumed this meant it could become more vulnerable not getting patches etc.
I got quite an exercise in moving emails around, but am ok now.
I really do appreciate the situations that enhance my knowledge.
WLM, will just be my default email program for opening hyperlinks as was O.E. and at least it is current. If I migrate tpo Win 7, I'll be familiar with it.
I could use it otherwise but I prefer to use my Live Hotmail account with my isp account.
When you install WLM it defaults to importing your hotmail. I removed it and it sits there as the default.
It is a matter of choice now as to how i access my email but at least it is functioning.
I ran a repair and this problem was fixed.
However, The 'file' >send link or page by mail' was disabled. i went to set program access and defaults and the feature worked. BUT now I need O.E. again as the Windows Live Mail would not allow the 'send 'function to work.
Am I doing something wrong?
I hope my notes are of help to others and not takingup too much room.
I have WLM functioning propely on the laptop but not the desk so I will reinstall WLM in the desktop.
For those reading, WLM seems to be fuctioning as the default email program with xp sp3 msie 8.
I will report back if problems arise.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI