Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

default email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hello I used to use O.E. as my default email program so if I clicked a hyperlink it would open for me to reply. I removed it as M.S. is not supporting it now. I tried Windows Live Mail and all kinds of problems occurred without touching it. I have to establish an account in WLM and when I do it wants to link with my Hotmail account.. The contacts were doubled with my Live Hotmail account for one. I finally corrected my Live Hotmail account and removed WLM. I understand I cannot put,"Windows Live Hotmail " in the email box under the advanced tab in initernet options - true?? I have msie 8 by the way. I have a Comcast mail account which is fine. I use the Live Hotmail account as a secondary one which is fine. What can I do to be able to "put a program in the email box" in the programs tab in internet options just so I can reply to a hypoerlink when I come upon one just like O.E. used to do? Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Just because MS is not support it is not a reason to remove it. If it works and does what you need it to do, why remove it? MS is not supporting Windows 98, ME or 2000 either but there are many thousands of users who continue with those Operating Systems without any problems. In the other thread where you brought this up, I mentioned SeaMonkey Suite, but for just E-mail, you should also look at Mozilla Thunderbird. It works fine as the default E-mail program. SeaMonkey E-mail is better in my opinion but TB isn't bad.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

I thought if M.S. did not support it, it meant it was vulnerable because there were no patches etc. That is why I removed it. All this for nothing? :pullhair:

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hi GP Most of my customers are happy with Outlook Express and don't particularly want to change as they have gotten used to it and feel confident that they know their around in it. If this applies to you...its OK to stick with it,.........it should see you right for the next 4or 5 years anyway! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Well, as my previous post explains, the reason I removed it was that I read M.S. was not supporting it any longer. I assumed this meant it could become more vulnerable not getting patches etc. I got quite an exercise in moving emails around, but am ok now. I really do appreciate the situations that enhance my knowledge. WLM, will just be my default email program for opening hyperlinks as was O.E. and at least it is current. If I migrate tpo Win 7, I'll be familiar with it. I could use it otherwise but I prefer to use my Live Hotmail account with my isp account. When you install WLM it defaults to importing your hotmail. I removed it and it sits there as the default. It is a matter of choice now as to how i access my email but at least it is functioning.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

I ran a repair and this problem was fixed. However, The 'file' >send link or page by mail' was disabled. i went to set program access and defaults and the feature worked. BUT now I need O.E. again as the Windows Live Mail would not allow the 'send 'function to work. Am I doing something wrong?

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

I hope my notes are of help to others and not takingup too much room. I have WLM functioning propely on the laptop but not the desk so I will reinstall WLM in the desktop. For those reading, WLM seems to be fuctioning as the default email program with xp sp3 msie 8. I will report back if problems arise.