This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

hyperlink

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello XP home sp3 Control panel>programs>'mail', I have two choices; 1-msn explorer + 2- Outlook Express. When a hyperlink appears during, e.x., reading and article + I wish to reply, O.E. opens. Problem; I've been told O.E. has weak password protection so I prefer to use another program if vulnerable. I do not know why my Windows LIve Hotmail account is not listed with MSN + O.E. Question; will my Windows Live Hotmail account open if I select MSN explorer? Is there a way to test this? Point; need reliable program to open as hyperlink is clicked without making major changes to pc. Thank you
I use Mozilla Thunderbird, you might wanna try that. Opera web browser also has a built in email thing, if you wanna try that.
I don't use or even have Windows Live Mail installed, but IE7 lists it as a choice in Tools / Internet Options / Programs. [attachment removed] What version of IE are you using, what does it show as choices? Also, I don't have a Programs selection in Control Panel. Do you or was that a typo? If you do, how did it get there?
Hi Ztrucker I have MSIE 7 but I have always had a Hotmail account; they are always changing it and there are many names like Hotmail, Windows live mail, Windows Classic Email, and a couple of different terms. If you go to Hotmail and open an account you will see the choice to uddate to Windows LIve Hotmail. It is not in add/remove; web based email I have been very happy with. Below is an answer from a friend which seems to be all comprehensive. I am not sure I understand it all so I am still asking about the ability for this program to open a hyperlink with a program other than O.E. which I am obviously trying to be rid of. Hope this helps. Pete >>Hotmail or Windows Live accounts wont open with OE, needed to have a premium Hotmail paid account or a very very old Hotmail account for that ability, if your Hotmail account was one that formally opened in OE, then from June 2008 IIRC, the service was turned off as the migration to new servers and security ment that OE now not actively developed was replaced by Windows Live Mail Desktop in which will open Hotmail, Live, Gmail etc accounts all in one package. Option if you dont wish to open your Hotmail account via a webpage is to use Windows Live Mail Desktop or Thunderbird for this open, both are actively developed so have much better security updates etc
Hi ztrucker
I came upon this link but when I click on it "page cannot be displayed" appears. I went to the M.S. site and copied what I could; I hope it gives you useful information;

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win…6a1381033.mspx

>>Windows Live Mail versus Windows Live Hotmail
Windows Live Hotmail is one of the largest providers of free, web-based e‑mail. This is a helpful service to use when you have more than one computer, travel frequently and use various computers, or don't own a computer at all. Messages are stored in a central location—rather than on your computer—so they're always available, no matter where you are. With Windows Live Hotmail, you can send and receive e‑mail messages from any computer that has a working Internet connection and a supported web browser.

Windows Live Hotmail is web-based, so you must have an Internet connection to send and receive messages. Hotmail normally runs in Internet Explorer or another supported web browser, and keeps your messages stored on a Hotmail server. But you do have the option of checking your Hotmail messages in Windows Live Mail, which stores messages on your PC. (You can also check your Hotmail in Microsoft Office Outlook. For information on how to do that, see One place for all your mail: Read your Hotmail in Outlook.)

Windows Live Mail is an e‑mail program that you install on your computer. It allows you to send and receive messages from one e‑mail account or from multiple accounts with different e‑mail services, including Hotmail.

With Windows Live Mail, messages are stored on your PC, allowing you to access, read, and compose e‑mail messages even when you're not connected to the Internet. Once you connect, Windows Live Mail will send and receive messages and update your accounts.

Windows Live Mail is designed to work with most popular e‑mail services, as well as e‑mail services from even the smallest ISPs. All that's required is for the e‑mail provider to offer Post Office Protocol (POP3) or Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) access. (Some popular services, such as Yahoo! Mail, require a premium subscription for POP3 access.)
Regards
You copied the displayed link (what you see) and not the real link it represents. You can tell this by the … in the URL. If you can find it again, right click on the link and select Copy link or Copy shortcut. That will give you the full link.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have Windows Live Mail (WLM) so I can't verify the instructions, but from what I read, you need to install WLM on your computer, then clicked E-mail links should open there.

Have you installed WLM? I think this is hte right place to do so: http://download.live.com/wlmail
Hi Z xp sp3 msie 7. AHHH! Now I understand about copying the real link. I'll be right back after I give it a try -thanx. When I go to my mail account it is called Windows Live Hotmail and is web based, not installed on my pc. Yes the other pc based must be installed in the pc but then I don't think?? that either will open a hyperlink but not sure.. internet options>programs>mail. Unless something ez comes along I am sort of ok with the O.E as the program to open hyperlonks. Be right back with that link.
Hi Z
I took awhile but I found that link.
I copied shortcut as there was no 'copy link'.
Hope it works. It really tells the differences among the types of Windows mail especially between the web based as opposed to the one you install in your pc.
Please let me know if you think the one you install in your pc would open a hyperlink if selected under Intenet Opt's>programs >mail .


http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e…86a1381033.mspx
Info from the link you provided indicates WLM essentially replaces OE, so yes, it should then be used whenever you click on a link that previously opened OE.
Hi Z I tried Windows Live Mail. I also read many opinions about it and agree it is ok if you want a comprehensive site to open all your mail accounts in one place. It also opens hyperlinks as you indicate. However, it seems to be a program that requires a good bit of time to study because of the excessive 'bells and whistles' and I agree with a lot of others that O.E. with a good mail program or two is easier. I use O.E. to open hyperlinks and have my personal email plus a Hotmail account. It was worth looking into. Thanx agin
If you want a good mail program, take a look at SeaMonkey. It's a Internet Suite and came from Mozilla Suite. It has a browser that shares much of it's code with FireFox, and an excellent E-mail app that I've used for many years. Easy to setup multiple accounts so E-mail and browser history is separate if needed.

I use it instead of IE or FireFox.
Hi
SeaMonkey - I have to look into that and must admiit it is the first time I ever heard of it.
I'll see if it is installed in the opc rather than web based so it will open hyperlinks besides being a good mail program.
Thank you for the tip

P.S. I edited because of > "SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users"

I will still check it out but this caught my attention as I am far from an advanced user.
You setup SeaMonkay E-mail just like you do OE by defining the POP3 and SMTP servers, your userid and password. This will be prompted for the first time you click on the E-mail icon (2nd from left at bottom of SM screen).

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI