Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

settings

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hello I tried to work this out for a long time, even with Windows news group O.E. 1- In internet options>programs; I have O.E., Windows Live mail, and MSN explorer. I don't know which to select-the following will explain. 2-I have a Hotmail account in which I log in as ______@hotmail.com it is also referred to as Windows LIve Mail, I believe. 3-I have set up my O.E. as incoming pop3 mail.comcast.netm+outgoing as smtp.comcast.net. Newsgroups which I like to use is newsgroups.comcast.net 4-my isp Comcast just said they no longer support newsgroups but I have never been able to receive a reply in my Live mail. 5Question; I want to be able to set up my O.E. ac't so I can get replies from newsgroups and others in my Hotmail account which seems to be called Windows Live mail. Should I remove all and start from scratch? I have tried all the links and helps but for two years now, no luck. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

in Outlook Express, you should be able to create a new "mail" account, but not POP3, choose IMAP HTTP or Internet mail.....hotmail should be one of the default servers to choose from.

Tallon41

[ guess you can use POP3... http://email.about.c...qt/et061405.htm ]

Edited by Tallon41, 23 October 2008 - 11:13 AM.

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Grampy Pete,

2-I have a Hotmail account in which I log in as ______@hotmail.com it is also referred to as Windows LIve Mail, I believe.

Hotmail and Windows Live Mail are two distinctly separate email accounts, one not connected to the other. I have both.......they do different jobs for me.

Windows Live Mail has succeeded Outlook Express. If you are using it, you will know that it picks up all settings from OE when you install Windows live Mail.

I hope this is clear to you.

kind regards,

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Sorry if I am redundant but; when I want to sign in to my Windows Live Mail I use ------@hotmail.com. Should I change this? My first post says it all but now I don't know if I should use my O.E. ac't to try to get newsgroups and replies to Windows Live mail. The problem I am having is coordinating O.E., hotmail, Windows Live mail, and in internet opt's > programs what program to use as default. Is it possible to erase everything and do a step by step. Thank you

#5 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

you COULD use OLE for that, but it boils-down to "what are you more comfortable using ?" If you like, or are 'used-to' Windows Live Mail, I would recommend that you use it for everything.

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

I have been trying to do that but don't know how. My first post says it all.

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Sorry if I am redundant but;
when I want to sign in to my Windows Live Mail I use ------@hotmail.com.
Should I change this? My first post says it all but now I don't know if I should use my O.E. ac't to try to get newsgroups and replies to Windows Live mail.
The problem I am having is coordinating O.E., hotmail, Windows Live mail, and in internet opt's > programs what program to use as default.
Is it possible to erase everything and do a step by step.
Thank you

Grampy Pete,

Starting again is a bit drastic to my way of thinking.

First of all I suggest you make your Windows Live Mail your default Email Program.
Then open WLM, go to Tools > Accounts and there you can set up whatever you like to bring in your Hotmail, Gmail or most other accounts you may have. I have set mine up this way and only ever access Windows lIve Mail to collect all my mail.

Don't forget that Windows Live Mail replaces OE so from now on ignore OE and suggest you go with my above suggestions for simplicity.

kind regards,

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I now have it. I will use WLM as my default email program so when a hyperlink apears, for example, it will open in WLM. It will also serve as my alt. address. If I wish to visit a newsgroup I will do a 'search'. I usually come here intead of there anyway. I do still need my ISP's mail as my wife does business thru it, eg., business cards and contacts. I can use my WLM ac't. This is the end of a very long investigation in which I consumed the time of many people; they never were able to solve this interface issue but I am pleased with the information you have rendered. Thank you

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

Grampy Pete,

We are glad we have been able to sort some of the email mystery out for you. :thumbup:

We are always here to help, so don't hesitate to post back any time for more assistance.

Grampy Pete wrote:they never were able to solve this interface issue but I am pleased with the information you have rendered.

Relate again to us about your quote above, you never know we maybe able to help you there also.

kind regards,

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

Now that you asked; 1- interface issue = I wanted to receive replies from the Windows Newsgroups that I posted to to appear in my Hotmail a'ct as it used to about three years ago. I made no changes but somehow I have not been able to achieve this -millions of ideas but no results. I come here as it is better and if I want to view replies in a newsgroup I simply perform a search. I sign in to my O.E. (which is where I originally set up the newsreader along with an ac't.) with my Comcast information but I use different sign in information for the hotmail ac't. To complicate matters my ISP C-cast sent a notice out that they no longer support newsgroups. I saw two free programs . I simplified all by using Comcast's web based server for personal mail + Hotmail for an alt. mail address. Int opt's> programs I use Windows Live Mail as default email so if I encouter a hyperlink ,it will open for me to send the message. 2-More importantly, I have a new AIO Canon. Although I do not now use the fax function as I have a stand alone, I cannot 'add' to the email program my Windows Live Mail/Hotmail. I click on add and can see program files, windows etc. I did a search + it indicates Windows Live Hotmaail is C:\, program files, Pete, yet when I search progams files from the Canon it is not listed; I therefore cannot 'add' it. Only O.E. exists. On the contrary, in int opt's> programs there is a- MSN explorer, b- Windows Live Mail, + c- O.E. This issue is similiar to the first in that Windows is intermingling terms that apply to a program. Ultimately, I will need to 'add' hotmail to the Canon if I can ever find a way to enter it. It does not allow you to type the name in. Anyway, none of this is urgent but I enjoy solving issues as I learn by doing so. Thanx for writing

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Grampy Pete,

Let's try to clear this up for you.

I sign in to my O.E. (which is where I originally set up the newsreader along with an ac't.) with my Comcast information but I use different sign in information for the hotmail ac't. To complicate matters my ISP C-cast sent a notice out that they no longer support newsgroups. I saw two free programs

Now you have Windows Live Mail as your default email program I suggest you do this
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove
  • Click on Add/Remove Windows Components in the left pane
  • Uncheck Outlook Express if it is checked/enabled
  • Exit out of Add and Remove

I simplified all by using Comcast's web based server for personal mail + Hotmail for an alt. mail address. Int opt's> programs I use Windows Live Mail as default email so if I encouter a hyperlink ,it will open for me to send the message.

Now you have Windows Live Mail as the default, open it and look at the bottom where you will see

• Add an email account
  • Five options will show namely, Mail>Contacts>Feeds>Newsgroups>Messages
  • click on Newsgroups (in your case) to set up a new account

More importantly, I have a new AIO Canon. Although I do not now use the fax function as I have a stand alone, I cannot 'add' to the email program my Windows Live Mail/Hotmail. I click on add and can see program files, windows etc

If you have installed the software for your new printer correctly, open an email or any word document, then go to

• File
  • Scroll to print
  • This should automatically print out whatever you want, be it either an email or from a word document
Try the suggestions above for a start, post back if any of them help you, if not, perhaps another volunteer will come by with new ideas. It all works for me here with my Windows Live Mail which brings in my ISP (Internet Service Provider) Gmail, and Hotmail emails with one click of the shortcut in my taskbar.

kind regards,

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

I am working on these issues and will call Canon tech support on Monday morning. I have kept your ideas b/c ultimately I know I will be using them. To clarify one issue; the Canon will print Word when I go to file and click print. All the features work well except the problem I explained about only having O.E. when I scan to email an being unable to "add" WLM as it is not in C:\ as far as I can see. Perhaps your suggetsion about removing O.E. and Windows Live mail will then appear as my default mail program. I am sorting this out and will be back in touch. Thanx again

#13 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Grampy Pete,

Open your Windows Live Mail, select any email as a trial, and do the following:

• File
  • Scroll to print
  • This should automatically print out the email you selected.
I cannot see why this simple suggestion will not work.

Post back and let us know please.

kind regards,

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hello tallin
I can tell I am not explaining myself well + I commingled too many issues together -sorry.
First issue, I have no problem printing any document -that's good.
Second issue has to do with my "scan to email' feature with my Canon AIO.
When I click "add attachment to this program" I have three choices; 1-do it manually, 2- Outlook Express, 3-problem here 'click on 'add' to find another program like WLM but I cannot enter it.' I have bypassed all by scanning to file and adding it to my isp mail or to my WLM ac't manually. It puzzles me though why I can't attach the WLM program. Ironically, Canon Tech support is down today . The reason I am frustrated is in int opt's > programs I can choose from three programs O.E. MSN explorer and WLM. I have selected WLM.
Ultimately I will use the steps you gave me to clear this up but for now I can work around this
Third issue has to do with trying to get replies from Windows newsgroups to my WLM - replies used to go to my hotmail ac't then stopped after two years. Now they don't even go to the O.E. newsreader.
I worked around that by going to the newsgroup and doing a search.
THis may be redundant to you but hopefully it has clarified an errant thought or two.
Bottom line I am going to get Canon support re: 'scan to email.'
Then I'll use your information to see what I can do about getting replies to my WLM.
I am puzzled why you seem to think I cannot "file> print" iIt has never been a problem.
If all this is too much, perhaps you would like me to only come back with updates as these isses get resolved , or not
Please do not get bogged down in my problems as they will be resolved over time Thank you for your help and I'll be in touch.

#15 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

Finally I think I can close these issues out. Re: "scan to email" , Canon tech said that WLM is not in my pc as is O.E. therefore cannot be added. I chose 'manually' so I just scan to file then send as an attachment with either Wlm or Comcast. Re: newsgroup I will now follow your steps so I can set up an account using WLM to set up a newsgroup ac't. Thanx for putting up with this but I am ok now. In the future I will post one issue at a time.