Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91913 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer / Internet Options Icon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 liam2801

liam2801

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi there please bear with me as I am not very IT literate - thanks My windows pc updated and a the IE8 was installed. However, I immediately encountered problems and went into add / remove programmes and removed the last security update. This was clearly a big mistake as I now have no Internet Options Icon in the control panel and I can not launch internet explorer at all. I do not know if the following info is important but I use Norton anti virus and the windows pc uses a LAN Appreciate your help

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Hi liam2801, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Please do the following.
  • Go to Add or Remove Programs and uninstall IE8
  • Use System Restore to go back to a date and time BEFORE you installed IE8
See here for directions on using System Restore: http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

Scroll down about half way until you see Use System Restore, that's the only part you need to work with right now.

Once that's done, change Automatic Updates to Notify me but don't automatically download or install them. You can do this by opening System from the Control Panel, then clicking on the Automatic Updates tab.

The next time you are offered IE8, unselect it. Then check the box that says Don't offer this to me again (or words to that effect).

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 liam2801

liam2801

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

Many thanks That is briiliant and has the done the job - what a relief!! :woot:

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

:thumbup: Glad to hear that was it. My curiosity bump is itching, did you decide to leave IE8 off your computer or did you reinstall it to see what happens?

Rich

#5 liam2801

liam2801

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

Hi Rich Well what happened of course is that once I did the sytem reset the update to install IE8 came back. I decided to install it but this time took a little more time on the options I selected. Either by luck or good judgement it all seems to be working well, so far!

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

:thumbup: Liam, that's good news as IE8 is definitely more secure than previous versions.

Rich