I have a Sony Viao that had a broken (cracked) screen. It was given to me and I changed the screen. After I put the LCD screen in the system, I can no longer get characters to
display on the internal screen. If I send the video to the external monitor port it works fine. I know I have the correct screen. I have also changed the cable harness that connects
the screen to the 3 video connectors on the motherboard. That part cost $70.00 and it still is not working. After spending $200 for the LCD, and $70 for the harness, I am now frustrated. Can anyone help troubleshooting my problem?
Hi biyouboogie. To put it plainly, there isn't much we can do from x amount of miles away.
Those connectors are sensitive. The screens are easily damaged if you push in certain sections. The pins are easily bent in the sockets. You may also have a backlight problem. The screen could be bad (yes, even if it is brand new). The inverter board could've gotten damaged. Or, you just simply don't have something plugged back in all the way.
I don't mean to make my answer so terse, but there just isn't really much else specific I could tell you to actually troubleshoot your problem. There are too many variables and no way for me to visually inspect things with a professional eye.
First, make sure that you can't actually see the screen if you hold it at an angle and shine a light on it. That means the backlight is out because the bulb in the new screen is bad, unhooked, or the inverter board is bad.
At least this way you know which problem you are dealing with, either no video, or no backlight.
Unplug everything, and especially examine those tiny plugs on the motherboard and make sure you didn't mash any pins down. This is the most common mistake "newbies" make. (I'm not saying you are a newbie, because I actually have no idea of your prior experience or education. But, if you are, this is a common mistake to make.)
Remember, there is no guarantee the "new" screen even works. Why don't you plug the old screen back in and see if you can see video through the cracks? Which raises another question… Could you ever see video on the old cracked screen? Because cracked screens will still show video, it will just be blotted out where the cracks are. If it didn't show video something else was wrong all along besides the cracks.
Thanks for the reply. It's true that troubleshooting something like this from "x" miles away is tough. I have opened this dayam thing 6 times. The first screen he ordered was the wrong one.
I will check all connections. Maybe I did bend one, but I doubt it. The harness was a nightmare too. Almost as hard as removing the screen (3 times).
Thanks!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI