This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey All, Hope someone can come up with a solution for me. A few weeks ago, my girlfriend in her wisdom downloaded a reg repair programe because she thought it would sped the computer up. Needless to say it caused a system 32 failure which required me to transfer all files to an external drive and re-install window xp home. However, after re-installing the visible screen on my wide screen laptop was only kalf the size and centered. To make matters worse, upon booting up yesterday, nothing appears on the screen. I get the usuall welcome to Sony Viao, and the windows start-up page but thats it. No desk-top, nothing. Any ideas. I tried starting in safe mode but a row of system 32 programe lines appear and seem to just freeze of the screen. Mygirlfriend said she may have un ticked a box while I was at work and it shut down by itself and now the above is all i get. I cannot think what box she could have un checked to cause this. Any help appreciated. Cheers JS
Hey All, Hope someone can come up with a solution for me. A few weeks ago, my girlfriend in her wisdom downloaded a reg repair programe because she thought it would sped the computer up. Needless to say it caused a system 32 failure which required me to transfer all files to an external drive and re-install window xp home. However, after re-installing the visible screen on my wide screen laptop was only kalf the size and centered. To make matters worse, upon booting up yesterday, nothing appears on the screen. I get the usuall welcome to Sony Viao, and the windows start-up page but thats it. No desk-top, nothing. Any ideas. I tried starting in safe mode but a row of system 32 programe lines appear and seem to just freeze of the screen. Mygirlfriend said she may have un ticked a box while I was at work and it shut down by itself and now the above is all i get. I cannot think what box she could have un checked to cause this. Any help appreciated. Cheers JS

Hope someone can come up with a solution for me.

Me too! ;)

In the meantime,

I tried starting in safe mode but a row of system 32 programe lines appear and seem to just freeze of the screen.

At what line? mup.sys? agp.sys? System32 errors can be caused by many things, and often fixed with a driver update, or with a Repair Install.

after re-installing the visible screen on my wide screen laptop

What do you mean by "visible screen"?
Did you download and install the latest drivers for that notebook and display after you installed Windows?

my girlfriend in her wisdom

While I would be upset too if some else broke my computer, I am sure she was only trying to help. Assuming it was okay with you that she was using your computer, you share fault on this for not creating her her own account! The ONLY account sharing allowed on ANY computer is Mom and Dad sharing (supervising - ;)) the kids' accounts. That's my opinion, of course, but keeping computers working and users safe is what I do. It could have been worse after all, some malicious spyware could have been unleashed and another jacobsslave could be out running up your credit cards. ;) If she did not have permission to use the computer, then I can't help you there, but I can point out that in particular, notebooks must ALWAYS be password protected (at the very least!) when not within arms reach of an authorized user. notebooks, and the data (and your identity) within are just too easy for badguys to snatch and walk away unnoticed. Certainly, notebooks are prime "booty" in home and car break-ins.

Sadly, many of those registry fixer programs are advertised on reputable sites as a source of revenue. Many experts frown on the use of any Registry tool altogether because the damage that can be done is all too often significantly more than the potential good. I do not have faith in, or recommend registry utilities to "fix" broken registries. But a good, conservative cleaner can be used safely to "maintain" a Registry. I often recommend the registry cleaner in CCleaner simply because it is NOT aggressive. It's goal is to clean out the clutter, orphaned entries, and the like. It is not really a "repair" program. I regularly use CCleaner's Registry cleaner to "tidy" the registry after I uninstall a program, particular a program I was testing and decided not to keep.

The other thing about CCleaner is it always prompts to backup the registry before making any changes - always recommended. What program did she use?
Hi JS, Since you are very close to having just performed a fresh installation and then became blessed with yet another gratuitous event of "Oh, I might have changed something, can you fix it?" … I am tempted to recommend that you freshly install your OS yet again. This time…. Download and install "all" of the drivers from the laptop manufacturer Install DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft. Accept all of the updates and critical patches from MS (except - I am not yet comfortable recommended SP3 from MS) Install all of the application software that you expect to use. including: Firewall AntiVirus AntiSpyware Blocking utilities/Host file Utilities such as: Shockwave FlashPlayer Your primary office and other application softwares. Set up her email client if you use one Set up your own email client if you use one. Then: Create a new User Account for your friend as a "limited user account" Do the same for yourself – create a limited user account from which to do most of your general computing and browsing. Password Protect your Administrative Account! I've attached a piece that I've written regarding the benefits to you of running in Limited User 📎Limited_user_account_for_Security.doc Best Regards P.S. If you haven't already made the decision, then I will add — "Stay away from Registry Cleaners!"
Hi JS, I've Merged your two identical posts for convenience and to gather all of the valuable recommendations to one location so that you and others can follow more easily. If you think you've posted in the wrong Forum, please do not post a second Thread. Instead, contact a Mod/Admin or simply wait for one of our Staff to Move or Merge to the correct Forum. Welcome to WTT Forums. Glad you decided to become a Member. Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI