Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Trying to connect my Sony Vaio laptop to my Sony Bravia HDTV! Plea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phil_hallam

phil_hallam

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

I am trying to connect my Sony Vaio Laptop, VGN-NR11Z, to my 32" Sony Bravia HDTV, KDL 32U3000. I am trying to use a VGA connection. My laptop was on Windows Vista and the connection between my tele and laptop was fine, but I have recently changed back to Windows XP as I find it easier to use and now I have found that when I now try to connect the two with a VGA cable there is no sync between the tele and the laptop. I am thinking there is a driver out there somwhere that I need to install but I can not find anything suitable!!! I would be very grateful if anybody could help me re-connect the two devices... Thanks, Phil.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

How did you go back to XP? Did you go out to Sony and download and install all the latest XP drivers for that laptop after you changed back to XP? In particular, the graphics drivers? If not, then your graphics system is likely running with plain old vanilla XP drivers

I am not really into laptops, err, I guess notebooks is the better term, since they are not made to sit on your lap, but rather a hard surface for ventilation, but those I have used out of necessity required a Function key combo, Fn + some other key, to toggle the video-out between the notebook's monitor, external monitor, and both - remembering that notebooks are designed for road warriors and briefing rooms. If the toggle was not set to ext. or both, the external monitor would not get a signal. I am being lazy this morning or I would download the manual for your notebook to see how yours functions - I suspect your toggle is something similar. I would check that and if it does not work properly, then you need to head out to Sony and download the necessary XP drivers for your notebook.

Verify your external monitor is set to display that input too.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 phil_hallam

phil_hallam

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I went back to XP using an disc I had with a previos laptop. So I have to press the function button along with another button, once the laptop and tele are connected via the VGA cable? Do you know which button it is because I have tried several and none so far have worked??? Do I not need to install a driver or anything like that to get my laptop to work through my tele?? Thanks for the help so far!!!

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

After you have followed Digerati's recommendations and assured that you have the correct drivers (particularly video adapter), you may also need to....

Go to:
Control Panel
Display Properties
Settings(tab)
(let us know how many displays are listed. should be a BIG #1 and a small #2)

Highlight #2 with your cursor
Place a checkmark/tick in front of the item: "Extend my Windows onto this Monitor"
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.