Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

key repeat program?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 decipherfreak

decipherfreak

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

is there a program i can use in cases where i want to hold down a key (on the keyboard) or repeat it continuously?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Not entirely sure what you mean, but maybe sticky keys is the answer you are looking for?

http://www.microsoft...stickykeys.aspx

or maybe AutoHotkey?

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Cheers

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 decipherfreak

decipherfreak

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

autohotkey looks useful, but i'm totally clueless about writing macros. I want to make a macro so that I can press a key like shift once, instead of holding it down for a period of time thanks for you help!

#4 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Your talking about Key Repeat Delay. I haven't heard of any programs that will let you get around it but you can adjust it by going to Control Panel > Keyboard and changing the slider bar for it.

Still you can not set it to none. Your best bet is to google "Turn off Key Repeat Delay program" and see if theres anything free and easy.

I could actually make a program for you that could do that but I would need confirmation that there is not already a program like that out there.

EDIT: You can try editing the registry key for it and setting it to 0. It's located under HKEYCU > Control Panel > Accesibility > Keyboard Responses > AutoRepeatDelay. When I have it set to minimum in control panel its 500 in the registry key so changing it to 0 might make it instant. After changing it you'll have to reboot your computer to make sure of the change.

If you do try this Registry hack........... BE SURE TO TAKE A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE CHANGING ANY VALUES.
and, I'd also recommend that you "export" a copy of that key and save it to desktop so you can restore it if necessary.

Edited by Doug, 16 June 2009 - 10:42 PM.
Caution to back up Registry

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#5 decipherfreak

decipherfreak

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

I don't want to change any computer settings though. I just want to make a macro (currently asking on autohotkey forums) that can use occasionally when i need to hold stuff down all the time.

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

autohotkey looks useful, but i'm totally clueless about writing macros. I want to make a macro so that I can press a key like shift once, instead of holding it down for a period of time
thanks for you help!

This is called StickyKeys. As mentioned earlier. It is found in Accessibility options in control panel.

Ofcourse, holding shift down is also called CapsLock.. :)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.