This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

key repeat program?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

is there a program i can use in cases where i want to hold down a key (on the keyboard) or repeat it continuously?
autohotkey looks useful, but i'm totally clueless about writing macros. I want to make a macro so that I can press a key like shift once, instead of holding it down for a period of time thanks for you help!
Your talking about Key Repeat Delay. I haven't heard of any programs that will let you get around it but you can adjust it by going to Control Panel > Keyboard and changing the slider bar for it.

Still you can not set it to none. Your best bet is to google "Turn off Key Repeat Delay program" and see if theres anything free and easy.

I could actually make a program for you that could do that but I would need confirmation that there is not already a program like that out there.

EDIT: You can try editing the registry key for it and setting it to 0. It's located under HKEYCU > Control Panel > Accesibility > Keyboard Responses > AutoRepeatDelay. When I have it set to minimum in control panel its 500 in the registry key so changing it to 0 might make it instant. After changing it you'll have to reboot your computer to make sure of the change.

*******************
If you do try this Registry hack……….. BE SURE TO TAKE A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE CHANGING ANY VALUES.
and, I'd also recommend that you "export" a copy of that key and save it to desktop so you can restore it if necessary.
*******************
I don't want to change any computer settings though. I just want to make a macro (currently asking on autohotkey forums) that can use occasionally when i need to hold stuff down all the time.

autohotkey looks useful, but i'm totally clueless about writing macros. I want to make a macro so that I can press a key like shift once, instead of holding it down for a period of time
thanks for you help!


This is called StickyKeys. As mentioned earlier. It is found in Accessibility options in control panel.

Ofcourse, holding shift down is also called CapsLock.. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI