This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How do I set a key to display text

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was wondering if it was possible in Windows7 to set a key for my pw. Just like you would hit Alt+V to paste, I wanna set Alt+J to be my password. Is this possible? Feel free to move this if I'm in the wrong place, I really wasn't sure where to put this. Thanks for looking!
Hello running spades :wavey:

Please correct me if I have misunderstood your request.

You are asking for a shortcut key, to paste your existing password into the log in box when logging in, instead of needing to type your password.

If this is correct, then why not simply change your password to a (2) two key input….eg: Shift + j then hit enter.

This would of course leave your computer very easily accessible to anyone.

Here are the Keyboard shortcuts for Windows

There are some programs available that edit the registry to do this type of thing, these can be found by searching with google or similar search engine. I do not recommend these programs as editing the registry can prevent your system from working normally and can stop it from booting altogether.


Regards,
Jkc73 :thumbup:
Good idea Jkc73. The only problem with that is that most passwords need to be over 6 - 8 characters long and usually need a mix of letters and numbers. @running spades, Could you be a bit more specific about when you would use this shortcut? Is it mainly for accessing accounts through your browser?

Is it mainly for accessing accounts through your browser?

If it is for accessing online material using a browser then any password manager could be used along with this in conjunction.
Firefox already has a similar function built in.

Not really sure how to do it if it is for the login @ windows start. :scratch:


Regards,
Jkc73 :thumbup:
Hi, thanks for the responses! I wanted to use this shortcut for passwords in my browser, you are correct, Jkc73. But I also (if possible) wanted to use it for my login @ the start. I'm basing this all off of the fact back when we had 486's and such my friend changed the function of one of the F keys (F7 I think) to his password. Ideally that's what I would like to do, have one button that I can just press whenever I get to a password screen. I wasn't really sure how to describe this and I was just using Alt+J as an example. I like the 2 key input for a pw as well, but having one assigned key for my pw is really what I'm looking for.
Hi running spades :wavey:


After some research I have the following:

Standard Functions F1 -> F12

(The hard way, if it works) :(
Assign macro or function to keys on your keyboard
Someone in the Tech Team may have a better way than this if you wish to log in to windows with an assigned 'Function Key'


(The sure and easy way, that will work, when using your browser) :thumbup:
Here are a some Password Manager Programs to take a look at, both have a free version.



Regards,
Jkc73 :)
This looks promising, thank you so much. Also, I had a PW program previously and I wasn't a fan. It wasn't either of the two you listed tho so maybe I'll check those out if the other options don't work.
Keyboard Remapper That worked perfect. Took about 3 seconds to set up too! Thank you so much for your research and effort, I tried googling but obviously wasn't using the right key words. :)

Keyboard Remapper

That worked perfect. Took about 3 seconds to set up too!

Thank you so much for your research and effort, I tried googling but obviously wasn't using the right key words.

:)

Happy to hear. ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI