This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB Driver issue

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I picked up a virus (I'm running AVG so if you have a suggestion for a better AV I"m all ears). I was unable to start any programs so I couldn't use HiJack This or any of my malware removers or even run an antivirus scan. I used the repair tool on my XP Pro disc. Now I've uploaded most of the updates but, since the repair, my USB ports are not recognized (no printer, no mouse, nothing that plugs into USB). I have an optical mouse, it lights up during the POST but once that is complete and it goes to the Windows start up screen it goes dead. I've tried to download the USB drivers from the MOBO website to no avail. Any suggestions? Thank you. Additional info: OS: XP Pro SP3 MOBO: PC Chips M848A (V5.0) (which replaced an ASUS A7N8XE Deluxe that went south) I have run HiJack this recently and attached a copy of that report if that's helpful. Thank you for your time, Kevin Lenertz
Greetings. Just to clarify: You ran a Repair Install off your XP CD? If so is there a reason you would not run a Clean Install? As you mention your mobo drivers can we assume this is a custom built computer? Generally XP will install its own USB drivers.
Thank you Jephree, I got hit a few years ago and did the same thing and it worked fine. I didn't do a clean install because I thought that if I did I would lose everything. Am I incorrect? I thought it would download the drivers as well. Perhaps I should look on the XP disc for the necessary drivers? It is a custom build several years ago (at least 5). I don't necessarily need the HJT examined just included in case it could be of any use.
A Clean Install does indeed format (wipe the drive/partition). I know it is a tedious process but you might try the Repair Install again. Remove all USB devices during the install. At least the printer. If you do not have a PS/2 keyboard or mouse you obviously will need to use them unless you have PS/2 adapters. Are you loading any SATA drivers or are you using IDE drives?
I had almost resigned myself to that option. I'll try it again then. I am using a PS/2 keyboard but I don't have my old mouse unfortunately. I'm about to run to Radio Shack and pick up an adapter though. A mouse is like a shoe lace. It's not necessary but it sure does make it a hell of a lot easier. I have IDE drives. What is the ramification of that in relation to this issue?
On the initial Windows setup you will see at the bottom of the screen: "Press F6 to load drivers". This was for drivers that had been developed beyond the original XP that would require a "pre-load". The most common example is SATA/RAID as this technology did not exist when XP was developed. So if you have SATA hard drives and are loading XP you need to press F6 and load your motherboard SATA drivers or else XP will not see a SATA hard drive as it does not know what it is looking for. This however should not be an issue with USB. This could also be a motherboard issue but might as well exhaust the software remedies first.
Alright. Thank you Jephree. I appreciate your advice. I thought about it being a motherboard issue. I'm hoping it isn't because I just replaced in January 2008. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.
Jephree, your advice was correct. I reran the repair program and it fixed the USB driver issue. It developed another issue regarding "GetIUMS not being located" but a quick search on the net found a solution. Thanks again for your time.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI