This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Explorer 7 just started crashing and closing

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Coincidence? Since I allowed Adobe to update, my browser will freeze, then I get the send this report to microsoft window, and then all tabs close. Doesn't happen all the time, but about half the time….I read on google that adobe updates could do this….I removed "Air" and "Get.something or other", and the browser got faster but still crashes periodically. Another dayam irritating thing is that now I loose my logins to email and ebay etc….I have to sign in each time I open a new browser!! :pullhair: I have firefox, but I prefer IE7 because the text in firefox is small and distorted and I can't figure out how to fix it. I have not tried IE8 ………. maybe I should? I am running Windows XP home SP 2 or 3 (not sure) I am really sick of this BS with IE ….. when it works I'm happy, now I'm going crazy. Please help me fix this thing…thanks much QUICK EDIT: IT JUST CRASHED AGAIN…HERE IS THE INFO ON THE ERROR: Error Signature: AppName: iexplore.exe. AppVer: 7.0.6000.16827 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 623o68e6
Hi nyctreeman.

Try running IE7 without any Add-ons, see if the problem occurs or not. Go to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools. Click on Internet Explorer (No Addons). Run that way for awhile to see what happens.

If the problem does not occur then one of your Add-ons is causing the problem. To find out which one:
  • Start IE7
  • Click on Tools then Manage Add-ons then Enable or Disable Add-ons.
  • In the Show: box, make sure Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer is selected.
  • Work your way through the Enabled Add-ons, disabling them a few at a time then testing to see if the problem occurs.
When you find the one causing the problem, uninstall it then if you need it, try reinstalling it.
OK, here's what happened since I posted that first SOS…. My computer froze, lost all control of mouse left-click, but right-click still worked, so I disconnected the wireless keyboard and mouse and reconnected the wired ones…no effect. Then when I reconnected the wireless setup, I was able to regain left-click although it was stubborn and slow. I opened start and did a system restore to May 6th (prior to the Adobe update and my meddling with explorer) and the system came back and is now apparently working fine. So far I have not had an IE7 freeze or crash. Should I go to IE8? And should I upload a HijackThis logfile to the forum just in case I have some bug? Thanks for your help. Len
IE8 is somewhat problematic on some computers, but why not give it a try. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it or it causes problems. As for the HJT log, if you are not having any problems, then no, I don't think it's necessary to post one in the malware forum, but … if you have any concerns, then definitely do so.
I disabled WINAMP agent, then I downloaded IE8 and received a message that an addon (Sonic something) was a problem, so I disabled that too. Now all seems to be well and fast again, but I haven't used all my apps yet either…so we shall see. The thing that confuses me is that I had a bar that said IE8 is running without addons activated, yet when I go to addons, it shows everything enabled except the Sonic thing that I told it not to open with. I hate this sheeeet! Just as soon as I get comfortable with something, they change it. But right now I have no more IE crashes, the lags have disappeared, and it seems to be lightning fast again. I don't understand how this addon thing works with IE …. if it will just leave me alone and allow my apps to work, I'll be happy.
If you right click on the icon you are starting IE8 with and select Properties, what is in the Target: box?

To start IE7 or IE8 without addons, it would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

To start normally, it looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

I have firefox, but I prefer IE7 because the text in firefox is small and distorted and I can't figure out how to fix it.


You may accidentally have activated the zoom function in Firefox.

Press and hold CTRL and then use your scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in or out.


Cheers

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI